Computer keeps freezing up, not booting

Anarchy1

Beta member
throughout the day, my computer seems to be randomly freezing up; every 18-24 hours it just stops - no blue screen, everything (inc. mouse and keyboard) just stops. The processor is 53C right now (128F).

Often times, when I reboot (or even just boot) it will take a very long time to go through the bios check, then wait a while before telling me NTLDR isnt found. I can reboot all I want but to no avail. I usually have to turn the computer off for several hours before starting it up again, otherwise it wont work (sometimes giving the cpu a good kick helps too). Also, it will sometimes freeze up while booting windows, while it is displaying the splashscreen.

The system is as follows:

AMD 2400+, 1gb ram, Radeon 9800XT 256mb, 700gb on 4 hard drives

It is important to note that the system generally worked fine until recently; the last two or three installs (since August 2005) have been constant trouble, with files sometimes going missing, boot problems, and these freeze ups.

I would suspect that my C drive (the oldest hard drive, at about 4 years) is in need of replacement, but I'm thinking that it may not be the only problem. What do you all think?

What OS is it? Sounds corrupted. Like it trys to do a system task at a certain time, and then crashes. Maybe a reformat would help.

Win XP SP2 Pro

Just reformatted & reinstalled in mid-February; it has been worse yet since then [again, another reformat would be in order, but the thing seems to get worse every time].

why dont you just borrow a friend's xp cd, put it in the cd drive while booting, and choose "repair previous installation"

Back
Top Bottom