Computer help with Hardware

Spyke36

Beta member
I installed new/more ram on my computer, reformated and totally reinstalled XP. but when i start it up, i get the choices for safe mode, regular, etc. Yet, not matter what i go to, i receive a error. Blue screen. Says there is an error, any ideas

OK...i bet you have a DSL or Cable modem on this computer. And I will also bet that your copy of XP is about 1 - 1-1/2 years old. I had this same exact problem when I reformatted my computer and started fresh. There is also another problem that follows it...yes there is another one after you fix this one, but if you do it right you can avoid the second problem.

These problems are related to the security leaks in Windows. You need to patch these before registering Windows.

It is Windows related and the only way to do it is to reinstall Windows XP WITHOUT your internet connection complete.

When you finally get Windows up, install your virus scan software. Then finally connect your internet connection and update your virus scan software first to make sure it is the most current version.

***Do not check your e-mail, go web surfing or use a search engine. Go straight to the sites that you need.*** Also make sure you do a "power off" type restart. This way it will dump everything in memory before restarting.

Finally go to Windows Update and start downloading the updates.

After the updates are complete you may then register Windows.

If you are using a dial-type modem, then I guess you are going to take a while to get the updates. It should work with a dial-type modem as well.

I hope this helps and let us know your status.

Back
Top Bottom