Computer Hardware Upgrade Question!

tevans2057

Solid State Member
Hey everyone!
I am looking to increase performance, and would like to make sure I replace the weakest part. I am wondering what the weakest link is in my current PC ( I built it on my own). Right now I get good performance on Ultra settings, but still get some FPS drops here and there in SC2. I do also get some severe drops in Fallout New Vegas, and even in League of Legends i get FPS drops during some fights, which makes me wonder if something i have done is hideously wrong. (I run all games at 1080P Full settings).

Here is a list of my hardware!

Processor : Amd Phentom II x4 965 3.4GHZ (not overclocked)
RAM : 4GB DDR3 ~1600 speed
Video : Nvidia Geforce GTX 560TI (Manufactured by Gigabyte) 1gig DDR5 Video Memory
Mobo : MSI 870 G45
Power Supply : 500W
Hard Drive : Western Digital 1TB (32mb Cache, 7200RPM, SATA)

Any advice would be great, as I am looking to upgrade a component art of my PC.

Thank you all for your help!

i would have thought that your system would be pretty beastly for those games, other than the Power unit, i'd have gone for a larger one but that wouldn't effect performance.

I suppose the 'weakest' link in that lot is either the Mobo or the RAM. Most high end systems use a mobo with an unfeasably fast FSB or hypertransport enabled. SATA II is also a standard now. In terms of RAM, 6GB might be more appropriate.

other than that i'm stumped.

Hrmm yeah I am stumped too. I am by no means a professional or anything, but I have been building my own rigs for the last 10 years or so. This one is the latest in a long time, so I am behind the knowledge curve at the moment. Any suggestions on MOBO upgrades, I just built this system in the Fall of 2010 so I was hoping it would last a bit longer but at this rate Witcher 2, Rage, are all going to tear it to pieces :(

the annoying thing is, although IMHO AMD make better CPUs most of the time, most of the high end board market is dominated by Intel 1156/Sandy Bridge boards. I suppose it depends what country you're in as to what's available.

Back
Top Bottom