Is this computer a good buy for me?

Sakebu

Beta member
Recently I bought a
HP Slimline s5304y for $480.
It has 4 GB / 4 GB (max) RAM
660 GB of Space
AMD Athlonâ„¢ II 215 dual-core processor 2.70 GHz.
Nvidia GeForce 6150SE ( Sucky )

I wanted a computer to be able to expand with more memory and a regular sized video card.

So I looked at this one:
HP Pavilion p6310y
$599 2.8GHz AMD Phenom II X4 630
6 GB / 16 GB (MAX) RAM
256MB (shared) Nvidia GeForce 9100 integrated graphics chip ( probably sucky too)

The new computer offers space for more RAM if i need it, a slightly better processor.

Does this computer have room for a regular graphics card? Not a micro but a decent gaming one?

I noticed there is a PCI 2.0 Express Slot in there.
So yes in THEORY you can fit a card.
Now for why it's only in theory.
It's a non gaming prebuilt computer.
So the power supply is CRAP.
That means you'll have to buy a new one.
That's about $50.
The case's cooling is also pretty bad, so you might have to drill some holes and plug so fans in another $50, $60 if you just buy a new case.
I recommend building your own PC.
I will post some links here in a moment. I am assuming your budget is $600.

CD/DVD drive 23.99
NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis 69.99 (You can pick your own case, to be honest, I just personally like this one.
AMD Athlon II X4 620 95.99
Western Digital 500GB Hard Drive 69.99
ASUS M4A77TD This would be your Motherboard 84.99 before Rebate
DDR3 RAM. 58.99 before rebate.
Antec Eartwatts 500 Watt power Supply 64.99 before rebates.
XFX Radeon 4770 with 512MB VRAM (I'm assuming your monitor is about 17-20 inches, which is why I gave you a 512MB card) We might have to change this depending on your monitor. 114.99 before rebate

TOTAL: $583.92 BEFORE rebates. To lazy to do rebate, haha you can do that :)
If you need an operating system it will come out to $690.00 around there. Subtract rebates and it should be around $650 maximum (Not sure)
It's $50 more then your PC, but the above PC I made for you will EAT BOTH OF THOSE HP'S ALIVE! CRAP THEM OUT AND FEED THEM TO IT'S DOG!

Thanks a lot. I just need to get a good pc building guide because I'm 16 and I don't have much of an idea how to put these parts together. Also, The CD / DVD drive could be a little better. I burn many DVD-R at 4x and that one doesn't burn DVD-R from what I see.

As for the motherboard, how much max Ram can it hold?

Thanks a lot. I just need to get a good pc building guide because I'm 16 and I don't have much of an idea how to put these parts together. Also, The CD / DVD drive could be a little better. I burn many DVD-R at 4x and that one doesn't burn DVD-R from what I see.
Yes it does. It burns at up to 24x.

As for the motherboard, how much max Ram can it hold?
16GB

^ Not anytime soon, but if you'd bought a computer 3 years ago, you'd have said the same thing about 4GB, no?

Heck, until around the time Vista showed up, 1GB was pretty standard. We're at 4x that now.

Are there any alternatives to the RAMs you posted? Can you put a single 2GB instead of a double?

Does the motherboard have a fan or heat resistor or do you have to buy it separately?

Does anyone know any good tutorials for computer building with Pictures or Videos?

^ Not anytime soon, but if you'd bought a computer 3 years ago, you'd have said the same thing about 4GB, no?

Heck, until around the time Vista showed up, 1GB was pretty standard. We're at 4x that now.

Hahaha yeah it doesn't seem like it was that long ago either. I remember the rule I was told:

The difference between 1gb and 2gb is huge
The difference between 2gb and 3gb is barely noticable
The difference between 3gb and 4gb is nonexistant because nothing could possibly utilize 4gb.

Now it's like.... "ughhh I only have 4gb now! Must upgrade!"

I tried and couldn't utilize all 4GB of RAM in my computer. No more than that is needed.

Yep lol. I mean, I'm a novice with hardware but... Seriously, when people brag about their 12gb of ram, I just laugh. Maybe we'll use that much when our computers will fly us to the moon.

Back
Top Bottom