computer goes into standby but fan is on

lerner1

In Runtime
hey i have a custom built computer that has windows xp amd 1000 pritty old but runs ok anyways, when i put the computer into standby the fans are still running inside can someone tell me how to maybe fix this?

It might be too old. I think that certain features of standby mode are controlled by the BIOS, and not windows, so if the computer is really old the BIOS might not support certain parts.

I just put my computer in to standby, fans went off, which i dont remember happening to my older HP with a 1.2Ghz T-Bird, which is pre-athlon days.

hey i have a custom built computer that has windows xp amd 1000 pritty old but runs ok anyways, when i put the computer into standby the fans are still running inside can someone tell me how to maybe fix this?

The fans are hooked up directly to the power supply instead of a motherboard. A common way of doing custom PC's, and even new PC's have the same issue.

There's 2 standby states.

S1 & S3.

Your computer is in S1 standby state which removes power to the HD's & peripherals, puts the monitor in standby and switches the CPU to standby. In this standby state the fans will continue to run.

S3 standby states put your computer into a deeper standby state by turning off everything inside your computer except the RAM. Read this link carefully. There's an important section in the link about, possibly, setting the this setting only when installing Windows.

Some BIOS's, mainly the later PC's running at least Windows XP, let you change the standby state from S1 to S3 and this is something you need to check out and if it's available in your BIOS then you can force your computer to enter the deeper S3 standby mode.

;)

I had same problem with my sony vaio after I reinstall windows with my WIN-XP pro CD. I just found drivers for that model on website and installed them, and everything was fine. I don't know if its going to help you

Back
Top Bottom