Computer gets to XP Splash screen, but no further!

utvols20

Solid State Member
someone brought me a computer that only boots to the windows xp splash screen, and thats it. I am able to boot into safe mode fine, while i was in safe mode i disabled all startup items and all non Microsoft services. When i rebooted, same thing happened, Windows splash screen with the blue bar running across the screen (but waiting around 10-15 mins will finally boot up the desktop, which still takes forever for it to come up). What else could this be?

i would say there is some spyware adware or anti virus 2 ways u could do this plug the hardrive into another computer and run antivirus on it etc or reinstall xp personally i wud reinstall x simply because if its not spyware or anti virus then it might be system files so xp reinstall wud be easier

Have you installed any drivers or new software etc recently? Possibly a problem there.

nope. this computer is in our warehouse...old n slow compaq. Nothing is really on it, but office viewers (excel, visio, etc)

tried to format, but its stuck on 39%. I shutdown the system, and tried to reformat again using the (Quick) method, and its installing windows now. Hopefully this will be stable!

i recon the hdd could be knackered, or just have bad sectors. not sure though. see how it gets on with installing xp

I just had this problem today while taking out my 3rd hdd and installing a cd-rom in it's place (I just got my computer working about 15 minutes ago)...

my hdds were...

C: (boot drive)...
D: (20GB hdd that I removed)...
E: (40 GB hdd)...

my computer didn't like the new setup and I got the windows splash screen and then it would just sit there and the mouse pointer wouldn't show up like it usually does...

finally after clearing my cmos and reseating my video card (among other things), I disable my second hdd in my bios and it booted up fine (like normal), then I went into the my control panel > performance and maintenance > administrative tools > computer management, then selected disk management and changed all my drive letters to...

C: boot drive...
D: 2nd hdd...

E: DVD burner...
F: CD ROM...

I'm about to restart, I'll let you know how it went, hopefully in about 2 minutes...

wow, that sucked...

it didn't turn out that well, as you can see by the two timestamps on the posts, I had the same problem and had to disable the slave drive again (though it still shows up in my "my computer")...

time to go to bed, I'll get back to work on it after work tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom