Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default computer games

I was wondering if there's any software that will teach me more about computers. I am more of an advanced computer user looking for a challenge

ringtemek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: computer games

What do you want to know about them? Whole university courses, even masters and PhD's can't teach you everything about computers in general, it's a HUGE topic. If you're more specific (web technologies? programming? really low level stuff?) then chances are me or someone else here can point you to some good resources

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to root_assassin

hacking simulations like at hackthissite.org give you challenges on multiple types of scripting and all kinds of diff computer software
root_assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
What do you want to know about them? Whole university courses, even masters and PhD's can't teach you everything about computers in general, it's a HUGE topic. If you're more specific (web technologies? programming? really low level stuff?) then chances are me or someone else here can point you to some good resources
computer programming, troubleshooting and computer technian simulators

It can be paid or freeware
ringtemek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Site Team

If you're interested in learning Java, then I'd highly recommend http://www.bluej.org/objects-first/ or http://www.greenfoot.org/book/ - the latter isn't out yet but either one would give you a good introduction to Java and OO programming in general. Greenfoot is especially fun to start off with From then on the sky is really the limit as to how programming goes!

As for troubleshooting / technician duties then there's various courses you could go on, or if you're not worried about official certification then just hanging around here and looking at common problems that come up and how they're solved would get you some experience. I'd also do some reading up on the different components within a system if you haven't already, common failure points, how they fit together, what they do - that sort of thing. There's a number of good books around for that as well, and some good guides on the internet (but as always, don't always take what's said as the truth unless you're 100% sure it's from a trusted source.)

My advice would be to pick up a good book or 2 on a subject or 2 that you're interested in. That way you've got a reliable source of information, and if you're not sure about anything you can always ask here
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Denthúl Send a message via MSN to Denthúl Send a message via Yahoo to Denthúl

I agree with berry120's suggestions. If you want more information on the troubleshooting and technician aspects of things, you could read up on the A+ course material and any lessons dedicated to that.
Denthúl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
In Runtime

i heard about this progam called alice. its developed by carnegie mellon. it teaches you about virtual programming, games, etc. and stuff. havent tried it myself but it looked good.

http://www.alice.org/
intel core-i7 920 4+ GHz with the thermaltech 120 extreme with adition 120mm fan lapped. mobo: asus p6t deluxe gpu: Sapphire 5870 OCED. PSU: power pc and cooling 910 watt RAM: Corsair 6GB ddr3 1600 HDD: two 640 Gb WB Caviar in RAID 0: coolermaster haf 932 with all red fans
monitor: samsung ToC T260 roseblack 25.5" 5ms 1920x1200
pepzsoduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
Baseband Member

If you are gonna get into programing I recomend you get any version of Linux (I recomend Ubuntu tho) because Linux is a open source OS which means you can program with it and play around with it a lot and try out those programing stuff.

Work PC(converting to Ubuntu soon) 2.8 GHz Celeron, 756mb ram, 160GB HDD, Intel Intergraded GPU
Tofu007 is offline   Reply With Quote