Computer doesn't complete logon

Axeleonth

Solid State Member
Okay, so here is the story concerning my computer, which I have has for less than a year.

My Aunty gave it to my cousin after it had been written off from her work, my cousin got a laptop, hence, I recieved the desktop. When I recieved it, it had a bad virus and I didn't know the password. I managed to hack into my computer and in my infinite wisdom, decided to try and MANUALLY delete the virus. It was a Trojan or something that creates a random eight digit .dll file, and then duplicates itself to a different name, and repeat, and repeats... and repeats. I ended up deleting drivers but it still worked, partially. I ended up getting an antivirus to deleted the virus. Then a week later, COMPUTER FAIL :<. Nothing worked, I managed to delete a partition, reinstall Windows and it worked, with no sound, programs or anything, and no activation.

My mum got her IT guy to come and look at it and he manged to activate, install programs and sound. Worked completely fine, unti about a month agao, yeah, haven't used it in a while. I can start it up, log in, oh wait, before it completes logging me in, it used to come up with a box and a red X, all it had was Yes, and No. Either one you click, it logged back out. This morning I went into safe mode and tried a System Restore, it shut doen, restarted and froze on the blue HP screen. I forced shut it down and rebooted, no, doesn't log in, shut down, oh look, system restore in progress. It got up to about 3 quarters and stopped, I had to got to school. When I came back, it was in the exact same place.

Now, I shut it down, rebooted it and logged on and that red X box comes up. This time it has text. Title: Windows Product Activation. Text: This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now? Yes, or No. If I click either one, it logs out. I can't do anything, besides, my IT guy activated it and said that it would last till 2109, which I shouldn't still have it by then.

What do I do? It's a Windows Xp Home Edition on a HP desktop. That's all I know.

P.S. I'm on my mum's laptop to use the internet.

Maybe the "IT" guy used a cracked version of windows and a windows update exposed the crack and invalidated the installation. I've seen a few computers roll through my place like that. Tough luck. The reason I say this is because the IT guy said something like "it would last till so and so" which sounds fishy to me. If you need to back up your files, burn a copy of Ultimate Boot CD and use it to back things up to a flash drive or external HDD (I think you can burn with it too). I linked you to the UBCD for windows because it has a very streamlined GUI. It's very easy to use. If you end up reinstalling, depending on your system specs, if you need an operation system, you could install Windows 7 RC.

So I just run this Ultimate Boot on my computer? How would I do that, Safe Mode log-in? Then what do I do?

UBCD is a bootable disk. Like I said, you burn it (must be burned bootable...ask if you don't know how), then when you insert it, it should boot when you start your computer. It'll look like a modified windows XP, but it's running off of the disk and your system's RAM. From there, you can access all the files and folders of your computer and backup anything that needs backing up.

Then what do I do? How do I burn bootable?

You just need to read. Ask if you can't figure it out, but these are some pretty good instructions. I recommend ImgBurn...great little program...and easy. Download the file, browse for it in ImgBurn. Click the write button. That's about it. Pop the CD in, restart the computer, and bingo.

Okay, I'll try that. Meanwhile, it completed it's System Restore and now it just an error box. Red X, no text. SO I will try this and see if it works.

I've written the file, but I still can't log on? WTF am I meant to do once I insert the disk.

I completely and totally apologize for leading you astray. When I got my version it was in ISO format already, it seems as if this is an .exe file you must run and follow to create the disk. Read these instructions and do as told and you should be good.

I don't have any possible OS program to install, it looks like I have to wait until Windows 7 comes out cause it's not possible for me to download an OS. But thank you for helping me this far, I didn't have any files that needed backing up, it is that broken. But thanks.

Back
Top Bottom