Computer does not boot.

OneMarcilV

In Runtime
Good evening,

When I started my DELL desktop computer today the computer never got past the first screen that reads the computer name in bid bold DELL letters. Also on the screen are the two F key boot up options. Those do not do anything because the keyboard does not seem recognized. The computer turns the power on to me external hard drives. I am leaving the computer unplugged overnight hoping that this will make the computer boot up in the morning.

Any ideas what would cause this?

After in unplugged one of my external hard drives the computer booted up. But then I had something about a NTDLR. Which I looked up is the loader for windows.

The wording is...

Missing NTDLR.

I am now booting from the Windows XP disk choosing recover mode to copy the NTDLR file. But since I purchased the computer used I have no idea what the administrator password is. Should I forget that and reinstall Windows?

I used my XP regular sign in password but that did not work.

OK I decided to reinstall the copy of Windows to fix the problem.

Last edited:
My new question did the reinstall on a different directory other than the original directory. How do I boot computer from the original directory?

Original directory is C:/WNDOWS
New directory is C:/WINDOWS2

Nothing from any of my drives were erased.

My new question did the reinstall on a different directory other than the original directory. How do I boot computer from the original directory?

Original directory is C:/WNDOWS
New directory is C:/WINDOWS2

Nothing from any of my drives were erased.

What didn't you just erase the drives and no a fresh install

What didn't you just erase the drives and no a fresh install

Because I did not want to erase all the information on the hard drive.

If I knew the administrator password I would have copied the missing file to the C:/WINDOWS directory.

Also when you ask how to bypass a password in any forum peeps get all weirded out thinking it is going to be some sort of hack.

So I did not ask that.

I did think the administrator password is the same as my Windows password.

For reference, there's a pretty good writeup on fixing NTLDR issues here. Steps 4 and 5 usually fix the issue, but 1-3 should be checked.

Re: Removing Admin passwords.
More often than not, people ask about removing passwords for malicious intent. That's not always the issue with providing an answer though. Let's say that you somehow walked away with a government computer, and someone here helped you circumvent the security safeguards. The owners of this site could face criminal charges.
Forums that refuse to help with seemingly harmless activity are more or less avoiding legal backlash in the rare event you did something malicious with our advice.
Also, a simple Google search will yield thousands of walkthroughs, and even some Youtube videos on how to accomplish this... we just don't want to put ourselves in the line of fire because someone else did something, and we inadvertently helped.

For reference, there's a pretty good writeup on fixing NTLDR issues here. Steps 4 and 5 usually fix the issue, but 1-3 should be checked.

Re: Removing Admin passwords.
More often than not, people ask about removing passwords for malicious intent. That's not always the issue with providing an answer though. Let's say that you somehow walked away with a government computer, and someone here helped you circumvent the security safeguards. The owners of this site could face criminal charges.
Forums that refuse to help with seemingly harmless activity are more or less avoiding legal backlash in the rare event you did something malicious with our advice.
Also, a simple Google search will yield thousands of walkthroughs, and even some Youtube videos on how to accomplish this... we just don't want to put ourselves in the line of fire because someone else did something, and we inadvertently helped.

OK this seems easy enough. Looks like I will. It need the password because I can get to the WINDOWS directory by simply hitting the ENTER key when asked for the password.

Back
Top Bottom