Computer died..

If you want to try to see if it is just a bad power button (which I doubt it is, but we can check) un-plug the power button cables from the motherboard. They are usually black and white and come from the front panel (probably didn't need to say that, but just making sure you know), then short the two jumpers it was on with something conductive. My personal preferance is a pocket knife. If it turns on like that then it is your power switch, if not it's motherboard or power supply

I'd love to do that, but some genius decided to make the power button inaccessible without removing the entire front panel, which is pretty much impossible to take off. I'll keep trying though..

I'd love to do that, but some genius decided to make the power button inaccessible without removing the entire front panel, which is pretty much impossible to take off. I'll keep trying though..

But you should have leaders going off to your motherboard. This is probably two thin wires with a flat connector on it. They plug into the motherboard along with many other similar connectors with different colored wires. Look for the one that says "Power Switch" or something like that. There is one for the switch, and then one for the LED, but you need to focus on the one for the switch, as we know the LED works.

look if there are any shorts as well
[short story] i have a ghetto rigged fan connector and when it shorts the green light on my mobo lights but when i press the power button nothing happens . First time it happened i went through all this junk with testing PSU's and switches then i looked and saw the problem. AAfter about 2 ghours trying to solve the problem , i was about to post here when i noticed the short , i sure did feel a bit of a noob [/short story]

Aha, I've found the connectors for the power switch, reset switch, and the hard drive LED...

Okay that didn't work. It could be because the connectors were in the wrong spot according to the header diagram, but it's worked in that configuration for years.

OK, power button is fine. Now we need to check the power supply. There are two options. If you have another power supply, try swapping them and checking. Or, an easier method, if you have a power supply tester (something that plugs into the wide plug), then you can just plug that plug into the tester and plug the power supply in. The power supply testers go for about $20 and are pretty fancy, some with voltage indicators and everything. But if you don't have one, you can probably go to a computer parts store and pick one up. You're in Canada, so not sure what stores you have out there. :confused:

Edit: Got mine off of Cyberguys! This looks like a good one, but not sure if they ship to Canada... Click here for the link. Also do a search for Power Supply Tester under Newegg.ca

Hmm, now to swap out power supplies requires turning off this computer. So I'll post in a few minutes if it's still messed up.

I'm back. Good god what a pain. It turns out the connectors for the HD light, reset switch, and power switch were in the wrong spot. But the power supply was also broken. Swapping out the supply from this HP turned it on, but the cables are too short so I'll need a new one. (And this HP is fine)

Back
Top Bottom