Computer did'nt turn on...now it does?

TheNewGuy1

Beta member
I have a Dell Dimension 2400. I've had it for 2 years now. Its been great so far. Friday I unplugged the computer without turning it off (forgot it was on all night) I plugged it back in, and it would NOT turn back on at all. Everytimg i pushed the power button, it would just flash and notjhing would turn on. It did this to me TWICE in the past month, and both time i was able to fix it by switching the "voltage switch" on the PSU over to the left. The 2nd time was'nt that simple, It did'nt tunr on until HOURS later after I switched the voltage thing to the Right!!

Anyway...friday, nothing seemed to work for me. The light on the motherboard came on when i flipped the voltage switch, but that was it. Thje power button\light just flashed when i pushed it. I looked into my booklet and figured the PSU was going out. I took the psu out of my old computer (hp) and plugged the main cords in. That turned the fans & lights on, because none of the other cords fit this computer. Since that other psu DID work though, I guessed that it WAS the psu that is messed up? I ordered on online at work, and it wil be shiiped tomorrow.

The STRANGE thing is, my computer came ON tonight!! I pushed the power button about 5 hours ago (just to check it again..nothing happened) Now 5 hours later...it comes on. Anyone know what this means? I have the new psu on order already. Please help

Thanks
Mike

Alright... first off... watch your language. We have some underage people here. Secondly, yes, it is your psu. It is faulty. Either that or you have a weird socket breaker connection to your outlet. But I doubt that. Anyways, use the psu that you ordered. Your problem's should be solved. I hate dells because of all the propeitory things that they use: psu, mobo, etc. It could be a voltage capaticator issue. A new psu should solve it all. Hopefully it works in the dell...

jac006 said:
Alright... first off... watch your language. We have some underage people here. Secondly, yes, it is your psu. It is faulty. Either that or you have a weird socket breaker connection to your outlet. But I doubt that. Anyways, use the psu that you ordered. Your problem's should be solved. I hate dells because of all the propeitory things that they use: psu, mobo, etc. It could be a voltage capaticator issue. A new psu should solve it all. Hopefully it works in the dell...

Sorry for my language.

I thought I was getting smarter in computers after figuring all this out, but that changed when my computer mysteriously turned on tonight..LOL. Why would it turn on all the sudden anyway? If it did'nt turn on for 3 days...why now? Come to think of it, our breakers actually BLEW last night because out electric heaters were obviously taking up too much power...would that cause the power to the computer to come back on though?...after "freeing" all the voltage (if that makes sense) I don';t know, I am just trying to understand it, and I feel really dumb right now.

Once again, sorry for the language

Maybe. Have you tried the computer's plug in different parts of the house, or, better even, taken it somewhere else and then tried it? This would narrow the possiblities down greatly. It's ok to feel dumb. I have 185 I.Q. and I feel dumb all the time. Lol... anyways... it depends You're not really supposed to be switching the psu setting. It's set to your country. There are different settings for different countries. That is very wierd. Please edit your post. I would appreciate that and omit the profranity in it. Thanks.

I edited my post. sorry again. Well, its great to be back online again...LOL. Thanks fot the advice, and i will let you know what happens when i get the new Power supply unit

It's ok. Thanks for cooperating. We've had some nasties in the past, so thanks for being a nice guy. Keep us posted. Hope all goes well.

The psu settings were on 115 I think..but now it only works when its swiched the other way. I forget the numbers 115\250? I don;t know. When I switch it over to 250..the motherboard light comes on though...nothing happens when its on the 115 side. Now i forget the original setting..

TheNewGuy said:
I have a Dell Dimension 2400. I've had it for 2 years now. Its been great so far. Friday I unplugged the computer without turning it off (forgot it was on all night) I plugged it back in, and it would NOT turn back on at all. Everytimg i pushed the power button, it would just flash and notjhing would turn on. It did this to me TWICE in the past month, and both time i was able to fix it by switching the "voltage switch" on the PSU over to the left. The 2nd time was'nt that simple, It did'nt tunr on until HOURS later after I switched the voltage thing to the Right!!

Anyway...friday, nothing seemed to work for me. The light on the motherboard came on when i flipped the voltage switch, but that was it. Thje power button\light just flashed when i pushed it. I looked into my booklet and figured the PSU was going out. I took the psu out of my old computer (hp) and plugged the main cords in. That turned the fans & lights on, because none of the other cords fit this computer. Since that other psu DID work though, I guessed that it WAS the psu that is messed up? I ordered on online at work, and it wil be shiiped tomorrow.

The STRANGE thing is, my computer came ON tonight!! I pushed the power button about 5 hours ago (just to check it again..nothing happened) Now 5 hours later...it comes on. Anyone know what this means? I have the new psu on order already. Please help

Thanks
Mike
Yes, jac is right, watch your language, your stay at CF could be very short if you don't.

I received my new Power supply unit yesterday. I installed it this morning, and everythings back to normal. A soon as I plugged the power cord in, the fans & light brefily came on, like they were "powered back up again" hard to explain.

Thanks for the support

Back
Top Bottom