computer crashing... i think?

PuNkY

In Runtime
i leave my computer on while i go out sometimes so i can finish downloading big files. i also have remote desktop setup so i can check on my d/l's and cpu temp. anyways, sometimes my computer likes to kinda "crash". what i mean by this is that my internet gets cut off, and idk about programs because my screen stays off and cant be restored, but the computer it self is still on. its not my cpu temp because 1) it would turn off completely(as set in the BIOS) 2) when i reboot my computer it says about 38C in the BIOS.

at 1st i thought it was because of the remote desktop (cause it cuts off my screen when i connect), but i didnt even get to connect today and it still crashed.

any ideas what is causing this? maybe a program im running? im so confused:confused:

I'm thinking it's one of 2 things...either you're computer is going into Stand-by after a certain amount of time and not waking up, or you have a virus/spyware...

First, to check if the PC is automatically going into stand-by...

Right click the desktop and hit Properties...Go to the Screensaver tab...Click on Power which is toward the bottom....and make sure the appropriate boxes aren't set to something like "system standby after 15 minutes" or something

If that doesn't work, scan for viruses and spyware...then get back to us :)

Matt

I'm thinking it's one of 2 things...either you're computer is going into Stand-by after a certain amount of time and not waking up, or you have a virus/spyware...

First, to check if the PC is automatically going into stand-by...

Right click the desktop and hit Properties...Go to the Screensaver tab...Click on Power which is toward the bottom....and make sure the appropriate boxes aren't set to something like "system standby after 15 minutes" or something

If that doesn't work, scan for viruses and spyware...then get back to us :)

Matt
i know i dont have system standby on cause it pauses my internet (i double checked though;) lol) and i just did a scan last night. i did leave out 1 detail, i do lock my computer before i leave it alone (CTRL ALT DEL > Lock Computer).

Yea^^, and check power options in control panel.
See if it turning your harddrive off after a certain time frame.

Yea^^, and check power options in control panel.
See if it turning your harddrive off after a certain time frame.
This seems about right:
2nhl4wx.jpg

Is it only when not in use? Perhaps you're monitor/graphics card is on the blink?

Matt
yea its only when its not in use. it maybe my monitor (which is almost 6yrs old but works 100% from what i c) cause my graphics card is brand new and duznt show any sign of it being defective.

well im going to leave my computer alone for a few hours and see what happens.

What gfx card drivers are u using? i had this happen to me, ie go into standby and not come out, it was a bad set of tweaked drievers.

This can also be caused by your BIOS, it uses something called ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) to control the pc in standby etc. If your BIOS isnt upto date then you can get problems with it.

i still kinda think its because of remote desktop. when i connect to remote desktop from another computer MY computer screen get blanked out and if isnt exited properly the screen on MY computer duznt kick back in.

Back
Top Bottom