Computer Crash!!!

PerfectSK

Daemon Poster
Hey, thanks for deciding to read my thread. Recently I experienced some computer problems, and I'm pretty clueless to why it happened. I was just doing my routine anti-virus, anti-spyware scans when all of a sudden my computer starts to reboot. I couldn't get to boot normally or even into safe mode after that. I checked the F2 settings just to make sure it was booting from the hard drive, and still no avail.

Ultimately, I decided to use the recovery partition on my hard drive to set it back to factory settings. The bad news is I lost all my data. The program on the partition is supposed to ask you if you want to do "non-destructive" system restore, or a "destructive" restore, but it never asked me that. Basically, it is supposed to delete your files if you choose the destructive restore. The entire process only took about 45 mins, but isn't that too short for a whole format and a installation of Win XP (Home)?

I'm curious why I couldn't boot into Windows either. I hadn't installed any new software or hardware, and everything was fine before the incident. I had just run a complete virus scan using Anti-Vir, and it put one file in quarantine. It crashed when I was using Lavasoft's Ad-aware, but I've run lots of scans with that program and everything has been fine.

Any clues to what happpened? All thoughts appreciated.

Just a reminder to others, BACK UP YOUR DATA. I lost over 3 and half years worth of stuff. I thought this kind of thing "didn't" happen to people like me, lol. Hopefully everyone else can avoid this happening to you.

Hey, thanks for deciding to read my thread. Recently I experienced some computer problems, and I'm pretty clueless to why it happened. I was just doing my routine anti-virus, anti-spyware scans when all of a sudden my computer starts to reboot. I couldn't get to boot normally or even into safe mode after that. I checked the F2 settings just to make sure it was booting from the hard drive, and still no avail.

Ultimately, I decided to use the recovery partition on my hard drive to set it back to factory settings. The bad news is I lost all my data. The program on the partition is supposed to ask you if you want to do "non-destructive" system restore, or a "destructive" restore, but it never asked me that. Basically, it is supposed to delete your files if you choose the destructive restore. The entire process only took about 45 mins, but isn't that too short for a whole format and a installation of Win XP (Home)?

I'm curious why I couldn't boot into Windows either. I hadn't installed any new software or hardware, and everything was fine before the incident. I had just run a complete virus scan using Anti-Vir, and it put one file in quarantine. It crashed when I was using Lavasoft's Ad-aware, but I've run lots of scans with that program and everything has been fine.

Any clues to what happpened? All thoughts appreciated.

Just a reminder to others, BACK UP YOUR DATA. I lost over 3 and half years worth of stuff. I thought this kind of thing "didn't" happen to people like me, lol. Hopefully everyone else can avoid this happening to you.

Well, Im not a computer genius but maybe its the Emachines...lol...I used to own one when I was married about 4 yrs ago, had alll sorts of problems with that damn thing...just a thought. Hope u solve ur problem.

Well its already solved. I used the recovery partition.

Edit: Anyone have any ideas to why it might have crashed??

Back
Top Bottom