Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-29-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Computer Comparison

Hi all, I am looking to buy a laptop for a max of 950. I have narrowed it down to either the Dell XPS M1210 for 849 or the Alienware Area-51 M5550 for 898.

Here is a link to the Dell: (I hope)
(Sorry, Can't seem to link to the alienware)
Sorry if the links dont work but they shouldnt be difficult to find. So could someone give me some advice to help me choose? Or is there a better Laptop out there? Oh, and I want it for gaming, but not hugely based on that. I little work going on it too.

renvaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Computer Comparison

I'd go with the Alienware, I'm pretty sure it's a lot faster.

freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX

How can we choose if we dont have specs to look at?

Go to their site and copy and paste.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

well u can customize both, and it just give out all of the options if u choose tech specs. So just select the hardware u want, if u can't find a similar componen then take the one closest to it. Do that with both of the computers and see which would be cheaper.
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

For processor go with Intel Core 2 Duo, try to get the best intergrated nVidia or ATI chipset you can get if you're into gaming, at least 1 gb of ddr2 ram, and a nice 120 or 160 gb hd. Laptops aren't really meant for gaming, but some of the higher end laptops come with better chipsets like the Nvidia 7 series or ATI x-line. They won't perform your games at top notch speeds, but they will run them just fine.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
Beta Member

ArrizX, I know how to make links you idiot, the alienware website wont link directly to the laptop and I gave you a dell link. Plus they are both very easy to find you useless ape.
And PerfectSK, I really can't afford to add all those things, my budget would be up to 950. I am not sayin a plan on puttin all the latest games on it and playin it non stop, as long as it runs games... say like black and white 2 standard with relative ease then thats all I need.
the alienware has 128mb standard graphics while the XPS has 256 shared, which is better? And is it better to upgrade ram or graphics card because I can only really afford one or the other.
renvaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

Quote:
Originally Posted by renvaar
ArrizX, I know how to make links you idiot, the alienware website wont link directly to the laptop and I gave you a dell link. Plus they are both very easy to find you useless ape.
And PerfectSK, I really can't afford to add all those things, my budget would be up to 950. I am not sayin a plan on puttin all the latest games on it and playin it non stop, as long as it runs games... say like black and white 2 standard with relative ease then thats all I need.
the alienware has 128mb standard graphics while the XPS has 256 shared, which is better? And is it better to upgrade ram or graphics card because I can only really afford one or the other.
lol, ur so funny I won't even bother answering ur questions!
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

Never opt for shared or intergrated video solutions. Always try to get a seperate video card, or chipset in your case.