Computer Case Transfer

Well your motherboard is Micro-ATX yeah? In this case, I don't know wheather the case specified up there (which is ATX standard) will hold a Micro-ATX as well, though it seems logical, seeing as you will get more room.
It'd probably work, because there are so many screws on a motherboard for the case to hold it on, that there will be some to fit a micro-ATX one too, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Since you are only changing the case, you won't have to worry about compatability either.

THE TRANSFER:

You have asked for a transfer guide, so I will try to please :) :

Basically you'll have to take the motherboard out, unplugging all the power cables. The big one connecting the power supply to the motherboard, and the ones connecting to hard drives, cd drives, etc. Simple enough.

Now if you can, you might be able to remove the whole lot, without removing the heatsink and fan of the CPU, and the memory and cards, etc, though unscrewing will be harder. This would save you alot of time though...

If you do need to remove everything first, start with the CPU heatsink and fan, taking care to take it off the right way by undoing the clips, etc. It can be quite daunting, but I know you can do it.

You'd then remove all the other pieces, and then unscrew the motherboard from the old case.

PUTTING EVERYTHING BACK ON:

Now you have it out of the case, get the new case, and fit the micro-atx board in, screwing using the same screws you unscrewed from the old case to the new one.

Next is re-seating the heatsink and fan of the CPU.

Now I don't advise you to just stick it back on, doing a reverse of what you did to get it off, before getting some thermal paste.

THERMAL PASTE:

So go to a computer store and ask for thermal paste for CPU's, and then reinsert the paste underneath the heatsink where it goes ontop of the CPU. Don't put too much on, and try to keep it only a few layers thick and about as big as the CPU itself. This helps alot with cooling so don't just leave it, thinking it'll be okay, as its an important part of the process.

Now you have done that, you can do a reverse process.

THE LAST BIT OF FITTING:

Then fit the other cards and then finally the cables. Like these have said, it would be worth taking pictures, or putting labels where things go, so it can just be a straight simple swap.
The case by the way will have its own power light/HDD light, etc which you'll have to fit onto the motherboard (check the manual if you have it, to see where the positioning is of these ones, though it should be clearly labelled anyway)

If you do it all right, and I'm sure you will, it'll only take you an hour to 2 hours to complete depending on how careful you are.

ANTISTATIC:

I would also ask for a antistatic bracelet when you go to get the new thermal paste. If they haven't got any though, do what TRDCorrolla says, and just touch a radiator or something which is earthed, getting rid of all the static.

You will then have a fully functioning PC, in a new case :D

I hope this helps :)

Dude if that doesn't help you nothing will. Kage is a great guy taking all the time to type that out haha. But also remember to plug it in when you're done...See kage all that work and you still missed the most important part

haha very funny rdcmmnst! :p

"Then fit the other cards and then finally the cables" By cables, I meant the PSU power too :D

Wow thanks alot. I feel like a fool coming on here and having to have you guys help me, but you just saved me a bunch of money, so thanks alot! You rock.

No problems, and don't feel like a fool. Anyone needs help to learn.

Any more questions, and you know where to find us :D

Back
Top Bottom