Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Computer can't run Java properly

Hey guys, my name is Timper and I'm new here. Now that's over, lets get on the actual point of this post.

Oh, and I know Java is software and I'm in the hardware forum but I believe it may be having the problem due to the memory card reader issue I talk about below.

About two months ago, my computer(laptop) installed a new driver for a memory card reader. Immediately after rebooting the system for the update to take effect, the computer became extremely sluggish; it would take 30 seconds to 2 minutes for it to respond to any attempts at opening a window or using a program of any kind. After restoring it to factory default settings, it repeatedly went through the "First Boot" process so I had a friend who is better with computers than I am figure out what was wrong with it. It was still a problem with the driver for the memory card reader so he just made it so the computer wouldn't keep trying to install the faulty driver which caused the problem in the first place.

Everything seemed to be working perfectly fine at first, but when I went to play a Java based game (Minecraft if you must know) it worked fine for the first two or three minutes, then suddenly dropped down to under 10fps. I installed some mods for the game that were supposed to help, but they just caused the game to run smoothly for an extra couple minutes before dropping back down under 10fps. I decided to try playing a variety of other Java based games, only to end up with it running extremely slow on all of them.

Here are some pictures I took of various things with my computer, the first is a Toshiba Health Moniter of my system "idling":

This is what it is like 45 minutes into a movie:

This is playing a Java based game:

As you can see from these, playing a Java game is more taxing on my computer than after I have been watching a movie for 45 minutes on it. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I don't think it is...

This is my CPU after running a Java game for a couple minutes:

System Info:

This is the faulty driver for my memory card reader that the computer wants to install:

If you have any idea what the problem might be and how to fix it, I would be extremely grateful to see it. Also if you need any additional information to figure out what it wrong, I will be more than willing to provide it as long as its not my SS, credit card or phone number.

Timper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Computer can't run Java properly

I'm concerned about the high cpu usage. Update both the 32-bit and 64bit java runtimes from java.com and see how that helps.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Site Team

I'm concerned about the high cpu usage. Update both the 32-bit and 64bit java runtimes from java.com and see how that helps.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Site Team

Old 04-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Tried that, no change in performance. Also, any idea why my installed RAM is 4gb but my available is only 1.6?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #6
In Runtime

Can you upload a pic of the System Resource Monitor when this is all going on? This will help with debugging.
thompatry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #7
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompatry View Post
Can you upload a pic of the System Resource Monitor when this is all going on? This will help with debugging.
Here you go, tell me if you need anything else.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
In Runtime

My laptop does the same thing, it runs at 100% cpu on a java game. My laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6000.
Corsair 950 Watt PSU
Corsair H70 Cooler
ATI (AMD) 5770 GPU
WD 1Tb black HDD
WD 500Gb black HDD
All in a Cooler Master HAF 932 Case
tj107us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
Site Team

I'm going to jump in two directions here. First, have you tried uninstalling that card reader that you mentioned to see if that makes a difference? I think it's just poor timing but worth a shot.

Also, considering this is a laptop I wonder if it's overheating. If possible take some canned air to the vents and give it a good blow to see if that helps.