Computer Buzzing Sound, not Fan, not PSU

yeah, ok, i think i will take off my mobo and check the bottom to see whats up with the pins, apparently one of the mobo fans(small ones) have the same mechanism (push things) and is also wiggly. iunno if it should be like that.... i'll take it out tomorrow.

Nothing should be wiggling inside the PC. If that is the case, something is definitely loose. check the pins, as tat is a good idea.

As for the burning, if you've not smelled it before and are smelling it now, then something is very wrong. the first thing that came to mind for me was that it is a short in the unit. Something isn't working correctly hence the burning. What could be suspect is the heatsink since you said it was wobbly, wich definitely should not be.

Sometimes, processors could catch fire. I see that you have an intel. I've heard of them catching fire on some occasions, which is why i'm not really liking them much. you say that the burning is around the motherboard? Is your processor chip on the motherboard? If so, that could be it.

Alot of troubleshooting will need to be done to make sure you get to the bottom of this. This is my opinion as ot what could be wrong. I hope i've helped some.

Nothing should be wiggling inside the PC. If that is the case, something is definitely loose. check the pins, as tat is a good idea.

As for the burning, if you've not smelled it before and are smelling it now, then something is very wrong. the first thing that came to mind for me was that it is a short in the unit. Something isn't working correctly hence the burning. What could be suspect is the heatsink since you said it was wobbly, wich definitely should not be.

Sometimes, processors could catch fire. I see that you have an intel. I've heard of them catching fire on some occasions, which is why i'm not really liking them much. you say that the burning is around the motherboard? Is your processor chip on the motherboard? If so, that could be it.

Alot of troubleshooting will need to be done to make sure you get to the bottom of this. This is my opinion as ot what could be wrong. I hope i've helped some.

Thanks, It is not the processor, the processor is at 36c. It is definitely the heatsink, i will try to remove the motherboard today and tighten the push pins on the heatsink(not cpu cooler heatsink, mobo heatsink), since i need to see the bottom of the mobo to see if the pins are in all the way.

If the heatsink is REALLY loose, it could be moving way out of place and making contact on the mobo, thus causing a short (as mentioned by someone earlier) and hence the burning smell....sort out the heatsink and then fix the burning problem after that....hopefully everything works out!

If the heatsink is REALLY loose, it could be moving way out of place and making contact on the mobo, thus causing a short (as mentioned by someone earlier) and hence the burning smell....sort out the heatsink and then fix the burning problem after that....hopefully everything works out!

Hmmm, just took out the mobo, the heatsink push pins are fully inserted and are even locked in the back of the mobo, but the fin things (mobo heatsink) still tilt left to right when i wiggle it. is it supposed to be like that? There is also a tape like substance below the heatsink, its pretty thick, kinda like thermal grease i think. It peels off too, but dont know if i should. Also i took off the motherboard fan (smaller one in the pic i posted earlier) and should i remove the grease that was already there and apply some more?
EDIT: its not like popping out loose, just when i wiggle it it goes side to side. should i try turning on the pc again after applied new TIM under that and the small fan?

I would suggest not monkeying around with fans or thermal grease on non-cpu components that way you can RMA it if you have to...

I would suggest not monkeying around with fans or thermal grease on non-cpu components that way you can RMA it if you have to...

But should it be wobbling if i move it? anyone else have a 680i here?

Think i should just go on and turn on the pc? its not really loose, the pins are inserted correctly, even one of the mobo fans are a bit wobbly, maybe it should be, should i ignore it?

No it shouldn't be wobbling, but if you are really worried about it, I'd just RMA it and be done with it instead of trying to fix it yourself, and then if you still have to RMA it they might reject it because you tried to fix it yourself and they'll just say that THAT was the problem...do what you wish, but if it doesn't look like an easy fix, I'd just RMA it.

Back
Top Bottom