Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Which computer to buy?

What's up people? I hope you guys can help me out. I'm looking to purchase a laptop or workstation mainly for gaming, music, movies, and internet surfing. I'm not an expert nor a novice but I figured this is the place to go for advice. I'm looking to have one custom built (is that a good idea?) and have looked into the Alienware Area 51 7700 workstation all tricked out. Is it a good computer or should I get something else? Thanx.

sandman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 03:30 AM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: Which computer to buy?

how much are you willing to spend?

matt_999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 09:16 AM   #3
Baseband Member

well if you dont know how to build your own its better but if you do you i would say build your own
Old 05-28-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman6
What's up people? I hope you guys can help me out. I'm looking to purchase a laptop or workstation mainly for gaming, music, movies, and internet surfing. I'm not an expert nor a novice but I figured this is the place to go for advice. I'm looking to have one custom built (is that a good idea?) and have looked into the Alienware Area 51 7700 workstation all tricked out. Is it a good computer or should I get something else? Thanx.
Wow, Alienware? Looks like you're willing to spend a huge amount of money. Well in that case, let's custom build your PC.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
In Runtime

Do your own things...

Are you afraid?...

Anyway, life is imperfect...
r53s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:47 AM   #6
Solid State Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking to spend about $2,500 - $3,000. I wish I did know how to build my own, but I don't know enough at this point to build one. Since my last post I looked into and am now leaning towards the Dell Inspiron GPX Generation 2 Workstation: Intel Pentium 4 770 processor, 1GB of 533 mhz ddr2 sdram 80 gb @7,200 RPM,NVIDIA GeForce 6800 256mb. I figured Dell is more reliable than Alienware and was pleasantly surprised that Dell made a computer with this much power. It seems the more research I do the more confused I get. But I think this the one (and it looks good too). http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...n&s=dhs&~ck=mn Check it out. Thanks for your replys.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:51 AM   #7
Golden Master

WOW, that is going to be one super duper PC. If you build it right with compatible parts and don't get careless with the hardware, you can have one hell of a beast that is better than Dell. I'm sure a lot of people on here will help you through the build process. That link you posted is a link to a Dell XPS Gen 2 laptop. Is that what you want or a Desktop?
Old 05-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #8
Solid State Member

Yeah, the GPX Gen 2 laptop is the one I want. I appreciate the comment on getting help with the building process if I choose to build my own. But I'm a little apprehensive since I never built one before and I don't think I have the expertice just yet. Anyway, it's a pretty cool computer isn't it?
Old 05-30-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
Solid State Member

I meant XPS not GPX.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:44 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117

Ailenware is hugely overpriced. And with $3000 budget you can do huge things. I would suggest buying the parts and getting a friend or hiring someone to put togther the system. Or if you want to have it built for you and come all in one. Go to www.ibuypower.com and get it there. Its cheaper then alienware.