Computer build approvals

How well does the Phenom II overclock?
Pretty damn well, a lot of the reviewers got 4GHz from the 940 BE, the 920 was hovering around 3.6GHz on air, those OCs were all with the 790GX.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=585100&page=21
As for the GPU the only thing is that it has a Mail in rebate so its actually only $45, also that MoBo has onboard video so would it be good to just skip the GPU until I plan on getting a good one that I will stick with for the long haul?
Yeah, that could save you some money. The integrated graphics on the GX's is very good, better than the 780G's even. You could actually play some decent games, not Crysis obviously, but HL2, COD4 etc should play fine.

Unless you're on a really tight budget, I wouldn't really recommend you go with a dual when quads are so cheap ATM. I'd recommend the Phenom II 920, it's under $200 and it will be worth it in the long run.
Pair it with a 790GX mobo

Good recommendations Worship they had a combo deal on the CPU and MoBo so it was $40 off the processor, $40 off the combo, and a $10 MIR. So $90 off all together for the combo of the 2... I almost went with the Phenom II 940 and the ASUS M3N72-D board since it was also a Great price and combo deal but was still 70 bucks more and I really didn't want to spend anymore..:( :(

That's a very nice system. worshipme has some very good suggestions.

About the PSU do you think the one I selected is fine? The only reason I really chose it was because for 1 it was OCZ which is pretty good and it was 700W for 49.99 after rebate...I figured it was going to be sufficient power for any upgrades and was pretty cheap.. But if its not going to be good then I would rather spend a little more to get something better...
You really aren't going to get any better than the OCZ at that price. They are well made, reliable units built by FSP Group.

About the RAM is there going to be a big difference from 800Mhz and 1066Mhz? I also am going to go with the HDD you suggested since it does have much better reviews...
Stick with what you selected. G.Skill is an excellent brand and the DDR2 1066 matches up better with the performance of the CPU.

Back
Top Bottom