Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Computer boots for 2-3 seconds then shuts off

I am having a problem where my computer boots for several seconds and then turns off. I leave my computer on for days and yesterday when I left for work it was on and running. When I came home it was in a reboot cycle. Now whenever I turn the power supply back on it continues this after I push the power button myself.

I looked it up and most people seem to encounter this problem with bad power supplies. I just bought a new Corsair TX650 for my computer in July. Also when it starts to boot the fan spins and it lights up the leds in the rest of my case. I saw one site that said to check if the light on it comes on but there is no light.

I also tried to see if it was my ram. I have two 4 gb sticks of Corsair Vengeance 1600 mnz. I took one out and tried to boot it in all four slots with each stick.

In the case of my cpu overheating I have a Corsair H60. The cpu is currently overclocked to 4.2 ghz and I have never had it go over 70 Celsius under load from prime 95. However, when I received my cooler it only had 3 of the 4 screws to mount it to the motherboard. I thought that this might create a problem but it has not caused any overheating that I can tell. I also booted the computer up while pushing as hard as I could on the corner without a screw.

Full system specs:
Gigabyte motherboard (I cannot remember the model number it was about 150$)
i5 2500k
evga geforce 560 ti
Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz ram 8 gbs
Corsair H60 liquid cooler
Western Digital blue 750 gb hard drive
LG optical drive

Glendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
In Runtime

I am far from an expert. But, maybe was a power surge while you were out. There does not have to be a electrical storm to cause a power surge.

OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Default Re: Computer boots for 2-3 seconds then shuts off

Then how do I reset it or are you saying that it is shot?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendor View Post
Then how do I reset it or are you saying that it is shot?
I do not time there is a reset. The power surge caused a problem in your computer that as to do with the hardware.
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

It's either the power supply, the motherboard, or the CPU.

Not a fan of only have 3 screws holding down the heat sink (and pushing it down now might be too late as it could have already overheated). The first thing I would test is a different power supply. I wouldn't run out and buy one, but if you have an old one or can borrow one from a friend.

My main feeling though is that it's probably the motherboard. Is there still a warranty? What happens if you try to boot with no ram installed?
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Solid State Member

I am thinking that it is the motherboard as well. I tested the power supply according to the corsair website by using a paper clip to make the fan spin.

My motherboard has already run into a problem in the past. Currently 2 of my usb ports do not work on the backside.

I am not sure what booting without ram is supposed to do but nothing changed.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Baseband Member

Depending on your motherboard it may only work if you have even numbers of RAM sticks, so keep that in mind. I'm no expert but if I had to take a guess I'd say it's either your power supply or motherboard.
jmlport98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
Baseband Member

Hey try this:

Unplug the computer. On the back of the computer, where the power supply is, there is a little slider (or should be a little slider). Make certain that it is switched to 110v.
cstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
Solid State Member

I couldnt find a switch on the back of the power supply. I did however finally find a solution. I reset the CMOS by taking the battery out of the motherboard. The overclock must have somehow caused it to fail when I was gone for some reason. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #10
Baseband Member

There's no little red slider on the back? I know u got yur solution but just curious. It doesnt stick up. It is completely built into the computers back.

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

Or rather the PSU's back.

cstep is offline   Reply With Quote