Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Complete Control of Computer

I want to know how to have full control of my computers. Basically, the problem that I have is that the little kids at home tend to install lots of games and stupid programs on our family computer, and I'm not at home to be able to take care of the problem all the time, so sometimes our computer is really messed up.

What I want to do is set the computer up almost like a public use computer, like the ones they have at libraries and computer labs and stuff. Windows just doesn't offer enough security like this on it's own. I want the kids to be able to surf the net (not any inappropriate sites, of course), do their homework, talk to friends online, stuff like that, but not to be able to change the settings on the computer or install stuff or anything like that. Also, they shouldn't be able to access certain parts of the hard drive and stuff like that. What kind of software would I need for this? I guess I could possibly set up something with Novell or something, but if there's a simpler solution, I'd like to use that.

Freak4Dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: Complete Control of Computer

download "microsoft shared computer toolkit". you can disable pretty much everything!

Old 03-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

or you could put a password on the admin account and enable the guest account. Guests can't do hardly anything.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy
or you could put a password on the admin account and enable the guest account. Guests can't do hardly anything.
yes but your going to need either windows 2k, xp pro, vista business or ultimate to have administrave features in windows. I'm still using windows 2000 right now just waiting for my new comp to install business :P
The Dark Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
muz
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak4Dell
I want to know how to have full control of my computers. Basically, the problem that I have is that the little kids at home tend to install lots of games and stupid programs on our family computer, and I'm not at home to be able to take care of the problem all the time, so sometimes our computer is really messed up.

What I want to do is set the computer up almost like a public use computer, like the ones they have at libraries and computer labs and stuff. Windows just doesn't offer enough security like this on it's own. I want the kids to be able to surf the net (not any inappropriate sites, of course), do their homework, talk to friends online, stuff like that, but not to be able to change the settings on the computer or install stuff or anything like that. Also, they shouldn't be able to access certain parts of the hard drive and stuff like that. What kind of software would I need for this? I guess I could possibly set up something with Novell or something, but if there's a simpler solution, I'd like to use that.
buy tham a cheaper computer , look on ebay , if you are in uk you could pick upo a comp good enough for xp for about 40-50 then network it so they can get to internet then if they mess it up its not too bad
Old 03-24-2007, 06:51 AM   #6
Golden Master

just use my suggestion! i have a guest account on mine. it has more restrictions than my school. no access to any drives, access to word and ie only, and a few other random progs. you can customize it however you want
Old 03-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
Baseband Member

Thanks everybody for your comments. I'm going to go with dude_se's idea because I tried it out last night, and it works pretty well. Thanks man.
Freak4Dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
Golden Master

glad i helped
Old 03-24-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Send a message via Yahoo to bullzi Send a message via Skype™ to bullzi

also to add to dude_se's idea, if you want remote access, to monitor what they are doing on the computer from any computer connected to the internet, i use www.logmein.com its AWESOME, totally free (there are versions that you can pay for to do filesharing and such) but they have a completely free version, that when you open it up, it shows the computer you are controlling in a web browser just as if you were looking at that monitor, its really nice just a thought if you wanted to see what they were doing from another computer without them knowing
bullzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #10
Golden Master

i use ultra vnc. does pretty much the same thing, but you can chat, do file sharing, etc. even control the pc or just click view only. its proper good.