Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Solid State Member
Question Compatability

Hi there, about to build a new gaming PC. Already have case, optical drive, hard drive. Just need to buy a mobo bundle, graphics card and PSU.
Am going for the Asus GeForce GTX 480
Unless you can suggest a better card under 200?
Am not sure which mobo bundle to get, this overclocked one has nice mobo and ram vs this one with a nicer CPU and price tag... choices.
What would you guys pick, or could you perhaps suggest a better one?
As for the PSU, I dont really know much. How much power do you think I will need? Can you suggest a well priced semi-quiet PSU for me?
Also, that card will fit both those mobos right? Don't want to make a stupid mistake!

p.s. am installing a new 2gb sata hdd as well, if that affects how many watts i'll need

Jeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
In Runtime
Default Re: Compatability

I’m going to make a small pun on the names of the motherboard bundles then make suggestions.
Nova in some languages means "does not run" or "does not work" along with supernova (big explosion ) and the suffix "saur" makes it sound old xD.
If I had a gun to my head and I needed to choice what motherboard bundle. I would choose "Argon Tarbosaur".
Although, honestly you could find better.
Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard [90-MIBD80-G0EAY00Z]
Ram: Corsair Value 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Low Voltage Triple-Channel Kit []
CPU: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Bloomfield) (Socket LGA1366) - Retail with FREE Shogun 2 Game [BX80601950]
subtotal 314.95 ex VAT
around 100 more however, far better cpu, 2GB more ram and a nicer motherboard.
I like your gpu choice. (in the future and you can get more and SLI them.)
PSU:Cooler Master GX 750W Power Supply [RS-750-ACAA-E3]

The motherboard I recommended supports raid. (Assuming you meant 2TB sata) you could get another and put them into Raid 1. (Pros: performance boost, reliability Cons: only 2TB of space.)
You could also get a total of 4 and drop them all into raid 5 and get performance and most of your drive space plus reliability.
Cisco Network Fundamentals Certified
Cisco Routing Protocols and Concepts Certified
BrokenAtari is offline   Reply With Quote