Compact-Flash Cluster-Size

avriz

Beta member
Hello ALL,

I've just purchased a 64GB flash card & trying to transform it to Fat32 4kb cluster size. I've tried the simple Windows10 with no success, then AOMEI technician assistant that did transform to Fat32, but the cluster size remained 128kb - far larger than expected.

Advices anyone ? I'm ready to purchase a software for handling this issue.

Thanks in Advance
:)

I don't think there are any hardware restrictions. I use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free for this stuff.
By the way, is there a reason why you want to do this? Are you going to be storing a lot of small files?

Smaller cluster sizes means less space wastage but there's only so many clusters you can fit in the allotment table. This is why you are restricted from making it smaller.

Last edited:
Smaller cluster sizes means less space wastage but there's only so many clusters you can fit in the allotment table. This is why you are restricted from making it smaller.

Why do you say this? FAT32 can support very small cluster sizes even in larger drives.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

On diskpart:
Code:
DISKPART> detail partition

Partition 2
Type  : 0B
Hidden: No
Active: No
Offset in Bytes: 395248140288

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
* Volume 3     E   CF           FAT32  Partition     97 GB  Healthy

DISKPART> filesystems

Current File System

Type                 : FAT32
  Allocation Unit Size : 2048
  Flags : 00000000

File Systems Supported for Formatting

Type                 : NTFS (Default)
  Allocation Unit Sizes: 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 (Default), 8192, 16K, 32K, 64K, 128K, 256K, 512K, 1024K, 2048K

EDIT: This remainds me: You can try using diskpart.

Are you saying that the allotment table is dynamic? I probably will need to learn more.

Are you saying that the allotment table is dynamic? I probably will need to learn more.
What do you mean by dynamic? (And I'm talking about File Allocation Table, probably on the same page, different terminology. Just checking.)

This is what I mean:
Wikipedia said:
Cluster values are represented by 32-bit numbers, of which 28 bits are used to hold the cluster number. The boot sector uses a 32-bit field for the sector count, limiting the FAT32 volume size to 2 TiB for a sector size of 512 bytes and 16 TiB for a sector size of 4,096 bytes.

Ah, there it is. FAT is File Allotment Table and 8, 16 and 32 is the bit.

Now I got it.

Back
Top Bottom