Comp Temps

movinup

Baseband Member
I need some advice here. I am in the process of enabling my comp to be used as a DVR through Windows Media Center and a Media Extender. This will require that the comp be on nearly 24/7.

Looking forward, I am wondering if I will have an issue with temps inside the box. I do keep the comp in an enclosed cabinet. As of right now I of course have the CPU fan, video fan and one additional case fan.

I would like to know what a reasonable temp should be and what hardware I should monitor. I suspect that a majority of the time the comp will just be idling.
Also, I have an option to use the S.M.A.R.T. monitor that comes with it. Should I be using anything else?

You really want to keep your case into a well ventilated and open area that is off the carpet. What hardware are you running? This will help determine the temperatures you should be maintaining. If you want, you could spend a little money and move to a nice aftermarket case if you're running a pre-built. That will improve temps by a large amount.

I'm not really trying to improve temps. Mostly just trying to figure out whats acceptable given my situation where the comp is located. It's a Gateway and everything was recently installed, another case is not an option.

I am running a C2Q 6600, EVGA 8400, TV tuner card.

You should do a stress test (prime95.. run the blend test) run it overnight or atleast 3 hours and record the temps you get from each sensor (hwmonitor is a good sensor program)

That way youll know what to expect when running high cpu intensive programs.

I assume that after I run that then the temps recorded will be at their highest and therefore, a benchmark I should shoot for to keep the temps under that?

I will try it and thanks for the info.

I assume that after I run that then the temps recorded will be at their highest and therefore, a benchmark I should shoot for to keep the temps under that?

I will try it and thanks for the info.

Prime95 will push your system way more than standard programs ever could. If you get decent temps on a full system load, any program should run well without causing your system to overheat. I still would recommend keeping your case in an open and well ventilated area.

What kind of 'cabinet' is the computer in?

The thing is the machine isn't going to be doing nothing but receiving and serving video data?

Correct me if i'm wrong but as long as the computer has free air around it and underneath it to breath there shouldn't be a problem.

Yes you can stress test it but it's not doing huge number crunching tasks so I feel the OP just needs to take 'logical' steps to ensure air can move through the computer, inside or outside a cabinet.

Reasonable temperatures will change depending on the task, where the computer is and the ambient temperatures.

I have the comp in a built-in desk cabinet in the basement. It does have ventilation holes cut in it.

As long as the ventillation holes are big enough, and there are enough of them to accomodate the amount of heat that will leave the system, then this is fine.

A problem would arise, if there was far too much hot air to be removed in a certain amount of time. For instance, you may get to a point after a few hours, where the temperature could hit a peak and would not go below that threshold for a very long period of idle time, since the air around would need time to cool, and leave the holes.

You could remedy this slightly by fitting a fan over the holes to drag air out, and if possible, and there were two sets of holes in different places, to have another fan to drag cold, surrounding air in.

Think of the cabinet as a PC case inside a PC case.

I would like to know what a reasonable temp should be and what hardware I should monitor. I suspect that a majority of the time the comp will just be idling.
Since nobody has actually answered the original question, I will :D

Don't worry about idle temperatures, they're not important, you just want to make sure that the Q6600 is not going over 72c under load.
GPUs can stand much higher temps than CPUs, up to around 100c.

Back
Top Bottom