comp shuts down when usb stick inserted

well the flash drives definitely work in all my other computers flawlessly with xp pro sp2 so it has to be the comp. Ill have to try and see if there is a short somewhere, thx

I have had a couple of drives that simply didn't like some hardware...would work fine in most, but it might not like a certain type of mobo or something...not sure what to do

Matt

Possibly your PSU, if its on its way out, then the little extra power your adding could be causing it to turn off.

Could be some kind of screwed USB driver issue. I had that problem when connecting a USB cable modem to my rig.

Does it just switch off, or does it bluescreen/restart?

i have the same problem my front two usb ports come and go i tried updating my windows mobile phone and i can't because it restarts when i plug it in the front usb ports and if i plug my camera or jump drive into them it says that i should plug my usb drive into a usb 2.0 port even though they are usb 2.0 ports

the mass sorage device drivers are most likely to blame.

see if you can find drivers specific to your key, (or newer drivers than you already have...

try instaling them and then plugging the key into the computer...

if you can hapily use the key drive on other computers without them restarting then there is likely no problem there, and if yuo can use other USB devices in your computer there is likely no problem there either.

Back
Top Bottom