Comp Building.

AmericanSensei

Daemon Poster
On a serious note, How much can one seriously save, and or profit from building thier own/others computers.

Most of you guys have some kick arse comps in your signatures, Take some of yours for example..How much do you guys save building your computers versus buying what you build in the store?

Or lets say someone wants you to build them a really top of the line computer. How much money could you potentially make off them rather than them going to the store and spending over 2k.?

AmericanSensei

Theres a trade off when you build your own. when you build your own for say 2k you get a better computer then buying one from the store. if you get the one from the store for 2k it won't be as powerful as the custom built one but you get a lot of software with it that usally cost you 500+ dollars.

I saw my computer in a Dell magazine, well, their computer with all the same stuff as mine, for $3,000. i am building it for $500. That is some serious cash saved.

are you buying a monitor, printer... plus the warrenty that comes with it, plus software. the dell is over priced though.

for the average user, they would get a better deal from buying through a branded builder such as dell, gateway, or hp, etc. all that they would possibly be sacrificing is the ability to have the original cd and be able to use it for repair/fix options and the ability to upgrade the system. For the more higher price computers a person building their own could save quite a bit from purchasing the same computer from a builder. usually between 20 and 40%. The issues being,,,that they lost the ability of having warrantyand tech service. as such you see why we have a lot of forums like CF.

It depends, if you're going with a monster pc or nice gaming rig, you'll probably wanna build your own. But if you just want it for the basics, ya know a nice simple budget comp then you should probably just get a gateway, compaq, hp, etc.

Yea, I hear you guys. Thanks for the replies.. I was just wondering, because here in a month or two I plan on going all out and building my own.

Also I was trying to get a ballpark figure what to charge other people for building them a computer... I know prices would vary based on Comp Specs.

Take this guy for Example...

What would one of you guys charge someone to build this for them so your making money off the thing too? And not being too high or ripping yourself as well.

ASPIRE X-Alien Blue Aluminum Server Computer Case 420w Power Supply

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor

CHAINTECH VNF4/Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

HITACHI Deskstar 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA II Hard Drive

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DRR 400

Radeon X800XL 265MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

And also lets just say I have most of the software ALREADY.

AmericanSensei

Well if you put on all the software for him (OS, word and other baic programs) i would charge $150. that would include labour too. if you don't put on the software $100.

Back
Top Bottom