Colors??

Wallaby Dan

Fully Optimized
Don't worry no racial slurs. I am looking for my next motherboard. One thing keeps looking at me and i am getting curious. What if anything are the colors on the sata terminals for. I see blue, Yellow, Black, Green and Red connectors. Do they mean anything or just a manufacturers choice? Do they show different speeds for the sata connection. I was looking at a MSI board that had two Yellow, two Black and one Red. Are they related to say Sata 1, 2, 3,ect??:confused:

Generally colour coded so that you know which is which, instead of reading the small text. What's the motherboard model?

Right next to the port, there's a little white label of "Port 1", "Port 2" etc.

Manufacturers use the color scheme to identify the port number. If you know their particular scheme, then you don't have to squint to see what number port it is.

EDIT: And this is what happens when you don't refresh before commenting.

See reply above :D

I've been looking at many different models but i had been seeing these sata colors and wondered if it was some kind of coding like the old resister codes(old school). I have seen all black 4,5,6 connectors too.Thanks. WD65

No coding. Any color can be used and as long as they are all the same type (sata3) they have the same stats. The differences come from connector terminals used lke straight or 90 degree and that is for easier use in certain situations.

Yep, Thanks, I was thinking it maybe had to do with the speed or something like that. I know the newer one are 600mbps i think i got it right. I know that the old board i have is 100mbps i think, not sure. I also saw some 300mbps i think. older boards. Was just thinking that the colors may have had something to do with it. Now that i know, I can get on with the search, Thanks again, Wd65

No coding. Any color can be used and as long as they are all the same type (sata3) they have the same stats. The differences come from connector terminals used lke straight or 90 degree and that is for easier use in certain situations.

..... Where do you find this blatantly wrong information?

The port numbers don't matter all that much, but they do matter. It has to do with many an engineering and technological function. The lower the port, the higher in IRQ list that device becomes. Should your HDD be able to interrupt your Optical drive or the other way around? Which should have priority access to the north bridge controller?

OK, Now i am at a loss. If dvd or cd is running why would hd stop it? Should cd/dvd have 0 and hd1? What is the answer as i don't get it. Never had any issues with ide like that before. Is Sata that much different?

The lower the port number the higher the device is in priority. Basically, you want your primary drive on port 0 (or 1 if there is no 0). That means of all the ports, it's commands are processed by CPU first and with highest priority. So if your drive is sending Windows OS code (during boot time) and the CDROM starts to read, the read process doesn't get priority over the drive.

If reversed, the CDROM can request resources from the CPU and the drives current process will be interrupted, the CDROM has priority.

That's why I say it matters to some extent which ports you use for which devices. The drive where the operating system is should always be 0 (or 1). Everything follows after giving the drive highest processing priority.

So i have two hds's and two DVD burners. First and second hd's go to 0,1 and/or 1,2. And external sata would be 2/3. Dvd's go to the next two right?

Back
Top Bottom