CMOS jumper

gartht799

Baseband Member
I had a question regarding the cmos jumper. If a pc was turned on just for a second while the cmos jumper is in the clear position, would his motherboard be toast? I am having problems with my system booting and I believe this may have happened. Thanks for any help.

No, it will not. The purpose of the CMOS jumper is to do just that. INstead of having it for example, in the 1-2 pin position, you set it to the 2-3 position, then turn on the PC for a few seconds, then turn it back off. THen reseat the jumper to its original 1-2 position.

Just make sure the PC is off when moving the jumpers around.

Well i feel like an idiot. I was told by a person that you move the jumper to the 2-3 position wait a few seconds with the unit unplugged and it clears itself. It seemed funny to me at the time but I was trusting them. So, you want to move the jumper to the 2-3 position, turn the PC on (cpu and everything) for a few seconds. Then turn it off, switch the jumper back and then turn the PC back on? This would set the CMOS?

Well it sort of depends on the motherboard too. I just remember on my old motherboard, the manual told me to start up the PC for a couple of seconds and shut back down again. That's where I got the idea.

Some motherboards, all you have to do is to reseat the jumper to clear the info and reseat it back to its original config. Then when you turn on the PC, everything is reset already. I should have stated this in the first reply. Or you can just take out the battery and leave it out for awhile and put it back in.

Try just reseating the jumper with the PC off. Then put it back to its original position and turn it on. It should reset itself. IF not, try the other way.

Back
Top Bottom