CMOS Issues

Tehnic

Beta member
I've been having some issues and I figured why not join a computer forum (here) and try my luck at fixing this. I am working on my A+ certification (I have my Strata and IC3) and I thought I knew the issue straight away. To explain what is going on, let me go back in time. A year ago I got another PC from my neighbor that needed work and I fixed it, one of the issues was error, not enough system voltage (or along those lines) this issue also caused my computer to "loose" track of time (instead of going of displaying say 4/5/12 it would go to dates like 1/3/2001.) A friend told me that it might be the CMOS battery that needed to be changed and I bought a brand new CMOS battery for a whooping $1.80. After I changed the CMOS battery, that PC worked perfectly and I thought I learned something new. Back in time now, I have a new PC (not new, it's from 2008, it's just new to me) and it's very good for it's age and works very well. Last week I started getting "not enough system voltage" so I jumped to the conclusion that it must be the CMOS battery. With no other CMOS in sight I grounded myself using my old anti-static wrist-strap and removed the battery and put it in my new PC (both are used 3 volts.) The CMOS I put it was the one that I got just last year (I was told they can run for 4 years) and after putting the CMOS battery in, I still got the system voltage error. I then went into setup (BIOS) and fixed the date from 3/1/3 to 4/13/13 and saved the changes. I was greeted with a boot screen (Dell loading screen) that never went past 50% after 2 hours (it usually takes around 2 seconds to load the whole bar under the Dell loading screen and about 6 secs to get to Vista desktop.) I tried and tried to get the system to boot (my keyboard and mouse didn't have any power going to them, the only device other then the tower and the monitor was the network adapter, I even made sure everything was plugged in) I panicked and remove the new CMOS battery that I just put it and placed the one I just took out, back in the computer. I was greeted with a half cut-off Dell loading screen. I turned off the system and booted again, this time with luck. The system still does not keep track of time, displays a "voltage error", and boots slower than normal. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what is going on with my computer. Thank you for any comments you have, I want to learn more about what is going on.

Any chance of posting as many details as you can with-in your bios settings, cpu, speed, motherbored.. psu watt total.

Thanks.

Thank you the reply.
CPU and speed: AMD athlon 65 x2 dual core processor 3800+ (2.00 GHz)
Motherboard; Dell, model 0HY175 A03 (According to software)
Bios: Dell, version 1.1.4

I hate to bump this thread but I installed a new CMOS battery and that fixed the "system voltage" error, however I am still getting a "Drive 0 Diskette error" any tips or advise would be wonderful

Do you have a floppy disk drive in the computer? If not, is it set to enabled in the BIOS?

Haven't used a floppy disk in ages, I disabled Floppy drives in the BIOS which is why i'm confused why I have this error when I disabled it on the BIOS

Ya me too now. Sometimes when it's enabled but there isn't one in the pcs it gives errors, that's why I asked.

Back
Top Bottom