CMOS checksum error

Goitalone

Beta member
A few nights ago i headed out for the night and like usual my comp was left on... but this night when i came home and "woke my comp up" it was sitting on the Black screen with white writing checking IDE drives. At the bottom it says..

" IDE Channel 1 no 80 conductor cable installed
Using 20 pin Power supply
CMOS checksum error - Defaults leaded
Warning! Now system is in safe mode.
Please re-setting CPU Frequency in the CMOS set up"

F1 to continue Del to enter setup

NOW my problem is the keyboard wont respond
ive pressed and pressed both F1 and del with no luck

i read that the CMOS battery might need to be replaced so i replaced it and still nothing.

I dont know too much about computers so im kinda clueless on what to do or what the problem is.

If anyone has any insight on what i can try or if you think you know what is wrong, that would be great!

Thanks in advance
Josh

Is your keyboard USB or PS/2? It might be trying an alternate one to what you have at the moment, just in case it responds then (some motherboards do funny things like that when they crash out.)

You say you've swapped the CMOS battery, but on swapping it how long did you leave it out? If it was just a few seconds or so the BIOS may not have cleared so the corrupted one may still be loaded. Try popping the CMOS battery, waiting half an hour and then put it back in. That should clear any corrupt settings.

Incidentally, did anything happen that might have caused this that you know of? Tried to flash your BIOS recently for instance, or installing a new piece of hardware?

Back
Top Bottom