Clearing a HDD

Le 3eme oeil

In Runtime
Is there anyway to totally clear the HDD on a computer that you don't have the windows disks or any software disks?

Also, is there a way to clear everything but the OS? ( again, without the disks)

If you want to completely wipe the drive of all data, you can either simply reformat it or use a nifty program called Kill Disk. Doing so will remove everything from the drive including the OS.

The only real way of cleaning up your drive without formatting and reinstalling the OS is to uninstall all unneeded programs and delete any files, folders, music, etc. that you no longer need. You can also run a program called CCleaner that will clean up the registry and removes unused files from your system.

Do you still have the Windows serial #? If so, you can always just get the disk off torrents and use your keycode.

I don't physically have the pc just yet, but i think it probably has the windows serial code if thats the just sticker on the side of it?

Edit: Would killdisk totally clear it so its back to the original size? Like say it was a 40Gb HDD and it had 30Gb taken up. Would killdisk get it back to a 40Gb HDD?

I don't physically have the pc just yet, but i think it probably has the windows serial code if thats the just sticker on the side of it?

Edit: Would killdisk totally clear it so its back to the original size? Like say it was a 40Gb HDD and it had 30Gb taken up. Would killdisk get it back to a 40Gb HDD?
Yeah, but killdisk is really for overwriting the hard drive so that your data cannot be recovered, like if you were selling the pc. When you reinstall windows it will do a reformat on the drive and yes, it will clear everything on the drive giving you the full capacity.

Back
Top Bottom