Cleaning your Internals, tips?

LastMaster

Baseband Member
Alrighty,

Well ive been working on starting a small computer repairs business...

And then it hit me... DUST!

My first and immediate awnser was, canned air.

But then I thought, at an average of 3-5 bucks per can, its way to much.

So i started googling around and found several tips on air compressors. I asked a friend and he mentioned that they can spray water out, because thats how they work.

Looking into it i found out that, air brush artists have a similar dilemma, they're trick is using water trappers.

My question is, has anyone considered or tried this?

Using a small electric compressor, with a water trap and regulator, to dust off your pc's?

I can't say I've tried it with pc's but I have used compressors with water traps before. A lot of the moisture concerned is created by differing air temps between the compressor tank and the ambient air temp, if used at certain times of day this can be minimised, also draining the compressor before each use or at least once a day will minimise risk as will two water traps.

Care should be exercised around fans as spinning them with compressed air in excess of their rated rpm can damage the bearing/s

I can't say I've tried it with pc's but I have used compressors with water traps before. A lot of the moisture concerned is created by differing air temps between the compressor tank and the ambient air temp, if used at certain times of day this can be minimised, also draining the compressor before each use or at least once a day will minimise risk as will two water traps.

Care should be exercised around fans as spinning them with compressed air in excess of their rated rpm can damage the bearing/s

So, you have to drain the tank of water???

How da heck does it get in there? Is it required?

And sorry for the questions, I have no clue how air compressors work.

Well basically air is driven through a piston and exhausted into the tank on the compressor, it heats up during this and then cools once inside the tank, this creates condensation, all compressors have (or should have) a drain valve at the lowest point of the tank so the water collects there for drainage.

I can't say I'm familiar with the brand at all but the tank is on the smallish side imo, it means the motor will run more often than a larger tank, 1/3hp is fair I suppose so the motor won't be unduly taxed when running. It's hard to say but at $33 (bid at the time of posting) I'd probably buy one.

I can't say I'm familiar with the brand at all but the tank is on the smallish side imo, it means the motor will run more often than a larger tank, 1/3hp is fair I suppose so the motor won't be unduly taxed when running. It's hard to say but at $33 (bid at the time of posting) I'd probably buy one.

I suppose it is too small, but all i need it for is dusting off computers.
If we can assume that this would do the trick. Then it be right for me. :)

$33 plus shipping = ??? which is how many cans? on the other hand the compressor should last a lot longer and can be used for other things.

:)

Yeah, something like that would work for a business that does it all the time. Do some more research to find out the best way to minimize the moisture. Maybe like a scaled down evaporator system like auto painters use? Not even sure if anything like that exists.

Edit: although you want to keep it portable so you can go outdoors to blow the dust, you don't really want to do it inside the building.

I've used an air compressor for years. Time to time i do drain the tank however.

Except on larger air compressors that run and are used constantly, I have never had a problem with water.

Back
Top Bottom