Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Choosing new RAM...or maybe none at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbs View Post
I can't speak for Photoshop, but I have no problems minimizing games and doing stuff in Windows with 4GB RAM.
Yeah, when games are minimized they aren't too much of a problem...photoshop taxes RAM a little bit more...especially with more files open within it obviously...

But I'm just wondering why in the heck I'm hovering around 75% RAM usage when I'm not really doing anything (no photoshop or games open)....is it just because it's Vista? My RAM maxes out WAY before my CPU does (when I'm taxing my system)...I know that much.

But like I said, I'm just going to wait a while...it's nothing I can't deal with. I'm going to try OCing a little bit and see where it takes me.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

By default Vista has Superfetch enabled. What this service does is buffer all the things you use the most into the RAM, so when you decide to open a program, the hard drive doesn't have to fetch everything off the hard drive, since a part of it is already in the RAM.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

From my experience with G.Skill, they don't take well to overclocking. If you read the reviews, you'll see that a common "con" is that they don't overclock nicely.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
From my experience with G.Skill, they don't take well to overclocking. If you read the reviews, you'll see that a common "con" is that they don't overclock nicely.
But how much of a performance increase would one see with DDR2 at 800Mhz, than, let's say 933mhz?

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #15
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

I really couldn't tell ya. I've never pushed my memory that high. I usually stay within specs as from what I've seen with my light overclocks is minimal increases that are only seen in benchmarks.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:02 AM   #16
Fully Optimized

Well I'm going to start experimenting with some OCing since I finally got my fans all rigged up like they were SUPPOSED to be (had I done it right the first time) :P ...I'll post some pics in the gallery soon. I'll have to keep you all posted on the OCing. Obviously, I'll start with my CPU, and then maybe lightly factor in my RAM. I'm not going to risk 4 perfectly good GBs of RAM...especially since I might not see improvements anyways.