Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-09-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
Golden Master

Default Choices we should consider when getting Windows Vista

Since Windows is such a common software, I thought putting this thread here in the General Software section would be a nice fit.

As you all know, there are 6 different versions of Vista. For us power users (which most of us are), we only need to worry on the two version called the Vista Ultimate or the Vista Home Premium. Please note that you MUST have a minimum of 1GB RAM!!!!!! Yes, I'm not joking. The other versions require a minimum of just 512MB for RAM. For those two versions I listed above, you must have a minimum of 128MB video card with DX 9.0c. The higher, the better of course.

Don't worry about the other versions of Vista. They're mainly for businesses and servers in which most of us don't use unless you run a business of course or just for the hell of it. There is a Basic Edition that is completely stripped down. There is no Aero interface support and is rather dull. PLEASE, don't get this. You might as well keep Windows XP if you're stooping down to that. Vista support all support 32 bit software and 64 bit software except for the Basic Edition or Starter Edition. It will cost abot $50 for upgrade to the Basic Edition. The Ultimate (the one I'm getting) is around $300 for the upgrade. It will support our 64 bit CPUs of course.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: Choices we should consider when getting Windows Vista

Basic Edition is really for those who need something cheap and easy to use. It's not for power users.

alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:48 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

$300 for the upgrade to Ultimate version of Vista!! Wow, that's a lot of money.....I guess I won't be upgrading anytime soon!
thebigdintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 AM   #4
Golden Master

The final price hasn't been set though. It may be around there. The Ultimate Edition is the mother of all the different versions. Man, I wish I would've bought that magazine so I can put some more info. There was a breakdown chart that tells you what each version can do and what it can't do. Lots of great info. I may buy it tomorrow and I'll post back here. There was also a huge article on the FBDIMM too that I need to update back here.

There are screenshots in there for Vista and it looks sweet. I know I said it before and holding out on it, but just looking at the screenshots, I change my mind. That thing is completely revamped. The interface looks so different. It is a huge upgrade as we finally move away from the old 32 bit support and the looks of the traditional Windows to something different.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:02 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

maybe next year after vista out i will think about trying to build my first computer.....wouldn't want to spend the money on vista on this dell dimension 3000 with 32 bit processor, and pci graphics card that i have now (plus i need to increase my ram).
Antec 300 Case, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L, PNY 4GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR3 Ram, 1TB Western Digital Black 7200 32MB cache, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Antec Earthwatts 500 Watts
thebigdintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:04 AM   #6
Golden Master

Oh definitely. Like I tell everyone. Get Vista installed on new PCs. You'll need the power to run the higher editions of Vista.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:22 AM   #7
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Tech N9ne

windows vista is pretty expensive holy
Old 05-09-2006, 01:24 AM   #8
Golden Master

and that's only the upgrade price!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:47 AM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Well they're always expensive when first released. Windows XP cost about that much when it first released back in 2001. I'll just wait for Service Pack 3 to come out for Windows XP and patiently wait for Windows Vista to gradually get cheaper.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:53 AM   #10
Golden Master

But it looks soooo good. They have all these pretty little icons now and you can also see the contents of the window while browsing. I think you can also preview what's inside a directory before you even open up the folder!! We kind of have that now with Thumbnail view, but Vista is suppose to further enhance that. I just love the way it looks and the fact that it's "64-bit". Yessss. That 1GB is huge on resources though. I better get ready for some fast RAM when the time comes.