Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Check out this laptop...

I only looked at this briefly .. but I'm not sure I understand it. Thought it was pretty interesting...

Newegg.com - HP EliteBook 2540p (WP884AW#ABA) Notebook Intel Core i7 640LM(2.13GHz) 12.1" Wide XGA 2GB Memory DDR3 1333 160GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD Graphics

-Q

Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: Check out this laptop...

It's a durable computer, similar to Panasonic Toughbooks which are VERY expensive. These are designed to take a beating and still run, hence the "Industrial Design" piece.

nathandg2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandg2006 View Post
It's a durable computer
Far from it. My girlfriend has one of those. It's great for portability but it's fragile. Thankfully I told her to get the accidental damage warranty. Also hard drives are a pain to replace in them if they die, or you want to upgrade. I had to have HP send three drives before the sent one of the right form factor (1.8") and at the time, I couldn't find any online to buy myself...

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Far from it. My girlfriend has one of those. It's great for portability but it's fragile. Thankfully I told her to get the accidental damage warranty. Also hard drives are a pain to replace in them if they die, or you want to upgrade. I had to have HP send three drives before the sent one of the right form factor (1.8") and at the time, I couldn't find any online to buy myself...
I'm not saying you are wrong, but that's the reason for the price see this quote:

Quote:
It is designed to meet tough military standards (MIL-STD 810G) for vibration, dust, humidity, altitude, and high temperature
Old 10-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Site Team

Trust me, I know. I have an Elitebook 8540 issued by my school, when I worked on the school's help desk I fixed almost nothing but Elitebook 8530s. They do not match claims. Overheat very often and a small drop is enough to kill the hitachi and WD hard drives they put inside of them, the same drives you can buy off of newegg. They might be designed to meet those standards, but the implementation does not meet them.

Since pictures are worth a thousand words:

and

Old 10-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Baseband Member

We'll chalk it up to different model numbers and HP's usual gimmicky advertising. I don't know if anyone else has seen it, but the 'Beats Audio' that they claim is so awesome sounds just as tinny as other laptop speakers. Haha....
Old 10-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandg2006 View Post
We'll chalk it up to different model numbers and HP's usual gimmicky advertising
I won't agree to that. All elitebooks come with that same advertising and they all suffer from heat issues. I've worked with hundreds of them and would never buy one or recommend one to a friend.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

It's got HP written on it, so some noob will see it's HP and has an i7 and buy it anyway. Crap spec, flimsy as an old lady, expensive as a trip to vegas.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Darkseeker~ View Post
It's got HP written on it, so some noob will see it's HP and has an i7 and buy it anyway. Crap spec, flimsy as an old lady, expensive as a trip to vegas.
I'm going to snag this for just about everything that sucks from now on. Thanks for the LOL.

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote