Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default Charging confusion

I have been confused for a while now, that the laptop seems to decide it has no charge when it does and won't turn on until I connect the charger, once it's on, I can disconnect the charger and continue. Since I'm almost always in the house it's not a massive problem, more an annoyance really. Anyone had a similar problem?

Corsair Carbide spec 3 * Gigabyte Socket 1151 * Intel I5 7600k 3.8ghz * 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133mhz * Corsair CX750 * 2gb Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 Strix * 1TB internal Samsung spinpoint * Windows 10 home
emperor76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Baseband Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Venus
Default Re: Charging confusion

Yes, it sounds like the first cells in your battery are dead. This happens when overcharging or naturally as they degrade.

I had a similar problem on my VAIO laptop, some of the battery cells were dead and it would never run after half full (or half empty), it would simply power off once it reached around the halfway point.

You could just replace the battery.

Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #3
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Yes, it sounds like the first cells in your battery are dead. This happens when overcharging or naturally as they degrade.

I had a similar problem on my VAIO laptop, some of the battery cells were dead and it would never run after half full (or half empty), it would simply power off once it reached around the halfway point.

You could just replace the battery.
Thanks, had a very quick look. They seem to be around 40, it will probably be something at the bottom of the list of things to do unless it starts causing serious problems, thanks again for the info.
Corsair Carbide spec 3 * Gigabyte Socket 1151 * Intel I5 7600k 3.8ghz * 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133mhz * Corsair CX750 * 2gb Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 Strix * 1TB internal Samsung spinpoint * Windows 10 home
emperor76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

FWIW - I agree that it sounds like the battery needs replaced.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Once you connect then disconnect the charger, does your battery then work normally and indicate it has a full charge that depletes normally or does it only ever show less than 100% charge and depletes rapidly? If there are bad cells, I would expect that the battery would never indicate that it was fully charged.

What make/model laptop is it?
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote