Changing Processors and Memory

RVFmal

Baseband Member
I have an Intel D945GTP mobo running an Pentium® 4 Processor 641 3.2Ghz CPU and 2 x 512 MB DDR400 memory modules.

I want to change out the CPU to a Intel Pentium D 960 3.6GHz processor and 2 x 1Gig DDR2 667 memory modules.

First of all, will I have to re-install Windows (running XP Pro SP2) after reconfiguration?

And is this a good option (CPU-wise)? If not, what is a better option?

Look forward to your input and advise.

first off no u will not have to reinstall any thing unless your changeing your hard drive to
also u can change to a pentuim d but y would u want to when you could change to a intel core 2 duo
there pritty dam cheep and amazingly fast
id say if u play games ocasionaly
and a lot of music media
get the 6300 its like 150
and if your realy into high end gameing
6600 its 350
and these prossesors r extreamly over clockable

RVFmal said:
I have an Intel D945GTP mobo running an Pentium® 4 Processor 641 3.2Ghz CPU and 2 x 512 MB DDR400 memory modules.

I want to change out the CPU to a Intel Pentium D 960 3.6GHz processor and 2 x 1Gig DDR2 667 memory modules.

First of all, will I have to re-install Windows (running XP Pro SP2) after reconfiguration?

You might end up having to reinstall Windows XP. As Windows XP even states when a failure to boot up occurs, "Significant hardware changes may case errors." In which case you can pop in your XP installation disc and choose to Repair Installation and it should technically make it work right.

But in either case the new Pentium D and the new RAM will be one hell of an upgrade. =)

RVFmal said:

If you board can support it I'd recommend a core 2, probably the E6400

David Lindon said:
If you board can support it I'd recommend a core 2, probably the E6400

He's running S478 it seems like, due to the DDR400 modules. I checked Newegg the other day and they didn't appear to have any Socket T LGA775 with DDR and DDR2 slots that were compatible with Core 2 Duos.

In which case his Pentium D 960 will be an amazing upgrade. Dual Core is always welcome. =)

Jenox said:
He's running S478 it seems like, due to the DDR400 modules. I checked Newegg the other day and they didn't appear to have any Socket T LGA775 with DDR and DDR2 slots that were compatible with Core 2 Duos.

In which case his Pentium D 960 will be an amazing upgrade. Dual Core is always welcome. =)

just because he's running DDR400 doesn't mean its a 478. many 775's are DDR and not DDR2. pluse, the Pentium D never even came out for the 478. I think he would have done atleast this much research before asking for our views. If you newegged his chipset, you would see they are 775. Altho, going to intel's site, it appears your board has DDR2400

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D945GTP/index.htm

unfortunatly this board does not Support the core 2, but the Pentium D is supported.

to get back on topic a little, I have never seen a proc and ram change at teh same time do anything to windows. However as some one else mentioned the worst that you would need to do is do a repair install.

celegorm said:
just because he's running DDR400 doesn't mean its a 478. many 775's are DDR and not DDR2. pluse, the Pentium D never even came out for the 478. I think he would have done atleast this much research before asking for our views. If you newegged his chipset, you would see they are 775. Altho, going to intel's site, it appears your board has DDR2400

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D945GTP/index.htm

unfortunatly this board does not Support the core 2, but the Pentium D is supported.

to get back on topic a little, I have never seen a proc and ram change at teh same time do anything to windows. However as some one else mentioned the worst that you would need to do is do a repair install.

Like I said, no Core 2 Duo chipset supports DDR400... :rolleyes: And like I also said, on Newegg doing a search for DDR400 and Core 2 Duo supported CPUs will result in nothing.

Next time, read the full post, THEN reply...

EDIT: I must correct the 'nothing'. You will turn up results, but those results turn up HORRIBLE motherboards. Might as well just spend the extra bit and get a better motherboard that's actually reliable and efficient. :rolleyes:

Jenox said:
EDIT: I must correct the 'nothing'. You will turn up results, but those results turn up HORRIBLE motherboards. Might as well just spend the extra bit and get a better motherboard that's actually reliable and efficient.
rolleyes.gif
yup, i have seen some of those are work, a few of them aren't that bad.

but your original did include the fact that he was running a S478 simply because of the fact that he was running DDR400.

celegorm said:
yup, i have seen some of those are work, a few of them aren't that bad.

but your original did include the fact that he was running a S478 simply because of the fact that he was running DDR400.

Most of those motherboards suck, in my opinion. Spending an extra $30 - $40 for reliability is more then worth it.

Bottom line is, S478 or not, the Pentium D 960 is a damn fine upgrade from his current CPU. Dual Core is always welcomed.

Back
Top Bottom