Changing the power supply

undefeated56

Beta member
Hey guys, im new here.. Hope you guys could help me a little here..
I'm want to change my power supply from a 300watt to a 480 (or 450) watt power supply.

I've bought a new GPU, which needs a 430+ watt power supply. (Its an ATI HD 4670 with 1GB DDR3).
Since the original power supply is only 300watt, will it be ok to change it to a more powerfull one? And if it is, will my computer work any better? (even if only sightly..)
What i'm asking is.. Is is safe to put a more powerfull power supply? And, will it be noticeable in my computer's performance?

If it matters, its a HP computer, its not custom built...

You can put a 1200W PSU in your machine if you really, really wanted to. It's not detrimental to your system in any way but you'll see it's effect on your electricity bill. Putting in a larger PSU enables you to run more current hungry motherboard peripherals and a decent 450W-500W PSU should do you fine.

However, increasing the size of the PSU alone will not increase the performance of the computer but will ensure enough current is supplied to the necessary parts and a reliable PSU will make for a more reliable computer.

What is your budget for a new psu? Also, can you give the model number of the HP so we can see if it has an ATX psu in it?

It would only increase the electricity bill due to what the hardware consumes in Watts/amps only and no more.

Yup. buying a larger power supply doesn't mean you'll have a higher power bill. Actually it could almost go the other way - a good high quality PSU can consume less than a "cheap" PSU from a no-name vendor.

Yup. buying a larger power supply doesn't mean you'll have a higher power bill. Actually it could almost go the other way - a good high quality PSU can consume less than a "cheap" PSU from a no-name vendor.

Exactly what I was about to say. Usually (at least from my experience) a larger PSU will be more efficient, and run cooler, since it's not being pushed as hard to run your components.

I finally bought a new PSU, it's a 500 watt psu. After changing the old one, as soon as i started the computer, all the fans went crazy, they were running at maybe 2 times faster than usual, and the screen stays black all the time. After removing the new PSU and re-installing the old one, the problem persisted, and this time the GPU's fan wouldn't even spin...
I'm really worried since the warranty is over.. Is it bad?.. Is there any way to fix it?
Hope to have a reply soon.. Thank you..

Usually when I run into this situation I assume it's the motherboard.

Take out the new video card and see if it will boot without it. Also make sure your RAM is still seated properly. Make sure you are remember to plug in all the Motherboard plugs (sometimes there are 2 - the main one and a small 4 pin one).

I've removed the gpu, and the fans still spin really fast...And it doesn't seem like it's booting.. Last time something like this happened it was the BIOS.. Which needed to be changed.. But that time i sent the pc to HP, 'cause i still had the warranty.. Is it probable to be the BIOS again? =/

Back
Top Bottom