Changing PC cases, need some advice

Personally, I would put the system on a wooden desk, grounded and such. completely disconnect all power, open the case, touch a metal part of the case to discharge static, get some static bags, and start pulling components out and placing them into bags.

It's all basically self explanatory after that, just make sure you remember to do everything (like putting risers on the case for the motherboard)

so could i get electricuted by touching... lets say the motherboard in the case even after the power is turned off ect

you disconnect power by taking the big plug out from the back of your computer that connects to the power supply...yeah, you need risers of course or else the bottom of the motherboard would be touching the case and we wouldn't want that. basically unscrew the motherboard, disconnect plugs from psu and hard drive. then yeah, make sure theres no static electricity, but if you take the precautions that mike said there shouldn't be a problem. i built my computer on the rug in the winter time.. dangerous.. but i was impatient like nothing else. i was using a dimension 3000 with 256mb RAM 2.3 ghz cpu and integrated graphics before i got my new rig.

Nice triple post, no you cant get elesctricuted by touching the mobo, just take out the psu wire. To disconnect the power from the mobo just take out the wires leading from the psu. Just rip them out.

edt-damn you beat me lol

First off, it's called the edit button. It's one of your close friends on forums... so USE IT!

Second off, once the system is completely disconnected from AC power, you need to unplug the 20 pin (sometimes 24 pin) plug, then the 4 pin. That cuts off all power to the motherboard from the power supply.

Risers are gold plated plugs, that go into the ATX holes on the inside of your case below the location the motherboard is installed. These keep the case and motherboard out of contact with each other. The top of the risers have holes for you to screw the motherboard in place. Oh, and make sure you change out the I/O Shield on the back of the case before you install the motherboard.

Do you seriously have no idea what you are doing?... Probably should have done some research before going out and buying a new case.. do you have a prebuilt/brand computer or something?

kchi55 said:
i built my computer on the rug in the winter time.. dangerous.. but i was impatient like nothing else.

Lol your crazy. Did you know that it was a bad idea at the time?

i orderd my custom comp... and i dident mean to triple post... i just got my case and i really want to get my comp running in it.. so i am impatient. :p. Are you sure i should jus rip the cables from my mobo the 20/24 pin cables i mean. Like i tryed pulling them but they are really gouged in their, so.. what?

take em out.... unless you want to try something like leaving half of your mobo in one case and the other half in the other case.. that wouldn't work out though.. i should think.

Back
Top Bottom