changing mp3 to midi??

wozelbeak

Daemon Poster
i would like to change a track on my hard drive from mp3 to midi.
i want to do this so that i can embed it in html on a thread forum i go on.
i have cool edit pro, but im not sure how use it to change it from mp3.
do i need to change it? it says that i need to use a .midi file on the html tags site i have been looking at.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah I've heard of this being possible, yet midi is recorded in a different way than MP3. I find it rather hard to believe you can.

MIDI works by recording seperate channels and the files contains information regarding to what bank to play (instrument) and what frequency of key to use, which is processed by your sound card software.

The thing is, MP3 is a compressed WAV file in more respects, and since it works in another way than MIDI, and doesn't contain just file data, and contains the full streamed sound, I find it hard to believe a program could listen to a MP3 file, and then hear frequencies and record them into MIDI format.

I'm not saying its not possible. I'm just saying it would be hard to. It would be possible though for example to make a MIDI a MP3 file by just recording it...

What I tihnk you should do since MIDI on different peoples PC's sound worse than each others, I would record a very low quality Wave file with a song on it. It doesn't even have to be in stereo, or have a high rate, and shouldn't take up that much space to send over the internet. Even better if it supports MP3, use that :)

Sorry I couldn't help you with a specific program, I honestly don't think its possible in the way your thinking.

yes i think you are correct. i can't find anything on this cool edit pro that says its possible.
do you think i could use a wave file?

Yeah you could use a Wave file, though if you could use a MP3 file, the file sizes would be smaller, and you wouldn't have to record at high bitrates or whatever either since its just for a webpage.

If you try using Wave, try recording at a really low frequency rate and in mono and test that, and look at the file size. Just go up slowly then until you get a comfortable size over quality.

To go over web, its best if its less than a meg, and possibly if possible about 500kb or less.. This would be more possible with MP3 though. You might have trouble doing this with Wave, depending on the size of the wave itself you are exporting.

I mean you have to be cautious with file sizes, I mean some people surfing still use 56k modems, and can't download large file sizes that quickly.
You'd find by the time they are about to exit the page, it'd load :p

Is there any way of getting hold of a MIDI version of a song you want to put over possibly?

Hope this helps

what song is it? i got a cd with thousands of midi's on it with my phone data cable. ill have a look for ya,...

Hehe, i used to have a whole collection of them to. Standard MIDI, and XG MIDI, a yamaha extension.

I now have a whole collection of MODS instead, though still do have a small collection of MIDIs i've salvaged from computer failures before I learnt :p

...if you have no idea what i'm talking about...ignore me hehe

don't think in such linear terms...

It's possible alright, (I had a mate made a converter for his final year uni project). Firstly I'll tell you how the technology works. Sound is simply put just a whole shit load of frequencies all over laid onto each other...
in a note you have a main frequency, then lots of other frequencies that make that asctual sound and tone of the insrument playing the note...

to transform a file from the analogue nature of MP3 to midi all you do is sample the note and use fourier transforms to find the frequency of thenote, and more fourier transforms to find the subharmonic frequencies that make up the tone... not you have your note and instrument....

anyway... I didn't think, (since nobody seemed to think it was possible) that you'd fnid a direct MP3 to MIDI converter, I thought you might have to go through a WAV file format first...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=wav+file+to+midi+conversion&meta=

http://www.mp3towav.org/mp3-to-midi.asp
seems like the best result... check out the editors choice software, it'll let you record the MP3 straight to MIDI, (so I was wrong about having to go through WAV first)

Back
Top Bottom