Changing

collibr

In Runtime
Is there any way I could take out my PCI slots in my Dell Dimension 3000 and install a PCI Express port, what would be the steps to do that, would i have to get anything new like a motherboard or anything?

what is the best motherboard i could get for the cheapest...the best bang for the buck....and is it easy to install?

None-----that is, if you want to keep all your old hardware. It's tough to find a motherboard that still supports PCI-express and DDR SDRAM combination. It's just too old. Most likely, you're going to need to upgrade your memory too. Then at the extreme side, your CPU.

the best thing u could do is get a new mobo (not too expensive) and a gig of Ram and all under 100$

what are the specs, what hardware u got?

I gotta Intel Celeron CPU, 2.66 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6200 OC Graphics card, 75 GB of hard drive, x86 PC
Processor-x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 Genuinelntel~ 2660 Mhz
SMBIOS Version-2.3
Total Virtual Memory-2GB
Available Virtual Memory-1.96 GB

i turned my dimension 3000 into the system listed in my specs below,,,that's about the best you can do with changing out only the motherboard, and then you can get an agp graphics card instead of pci card. the case is propriatory so you cant just buy any old atx form motherboard and have it fit....the dimension 4600 motherboard will fit and you can reuse everything and just get an agp card...i bought a 4600 motherboard on ebay for about 100 bucks. i had the intel pentium 4 @3GHz in my 3000, so i just stayed with that, but if you got the celeron, you may want to pick up an intel pent 4 to replace it...still not going to have anything great after that, but at least it wont cost you much and you can reuse everything in the 4600 board that you have now with the 3000 board..just get a agp card and the 4600 board....and maybe a pent 4 instead of the celeron processor and all should be about 200-250 bucks...or save that $ towards a completly new build with more up to date components...

lol...install a PCI-express port...that would be cool though. im sorry but i thought that was kind of funny

Well, my sisters dell has space for a AGP slot, but there's no brown thing soldered on. I think like if I took an old mobo and ripped the AGP slot off, I could probably solder it on to the board, since it has the little metal stubs there. Stupid cheap dell can't even afford a 1 cent plastic AGP slot :(

Back
Top Bottom