change mobo need windows to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuNalt787

In Runtime
here is the problem. I have changed motherboards from a p4 to an abit. The p4 supported 168 pin ram the new abit supports 184. Everything else is the same including processor. I have an instalation cd from a different computer but not for the one i changed. I was wondering if there was a way for me to get windows to recognize the new hardware and not shut me out. I get to the boot in safe mode screen and it wont go any further because of security reasons. I would try the cd for my other comp but idk if it will transfer the liscense and shut me out of the one im on rite now when both comps get online. Anyone know how to do this and can walk me through it or have a site with instructions?

ChuNalt787 said:
here is the problem. I have changed motherboards from a p4 to an abit. The p4 supported 168 pin ram the new abit supports 184. Everything else is the same including processor. I have an instalation cd from a different computer but not for the one i changed. I was wondering if there was a way for me to get windows to recognize the new hardware and not shut me out. I get to the boot in safe mode screen and it wont go any further because of security reasons. I would try the cd for my other comp but idk if it will transfer the liscense and shut me out of the one im on rite now when both comps get online. Anyone know how to do this and can walk me through it or have a site with instructions?
You done this all wrong.But why did you change mbd's ?
It's best to change mbd/cpu as a team.That might be your mistake.
But you say you installed Windows so your cdrom works.
What doesn't ?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

i changed mobo so i could have better ram. the processors are both 478 socket. The prob is that i dont have the cd for that comp and i dont want it to update the registry just the hardware config. If I had the cd i could probably figure this out. Has anyone tried using a different boot cd than the one that u used to instal?

Basicaly my prob is that due to the new mobo the secuirty in xp wont let it boot. I just need to tell xp that that mobo is legit.

ChuNalt787 said:
Basicaly my prob is that due to the new mobo the secuirty in xp wont let it boot. I just need to tell xp that that mobo is legit.

He said XP already.

<edit> stop using PM's to solve problems. use reply.

ChuNalt787 or zipperman could u post the PM because i would like to know how to solve this for the future.

This Widows and by the way what version is yours to use on your computer.Do you have the serial numbers,you must have to get to safe mode.So please clear this up.Serial numbers that is i feel you have a Windows installed now i'm f****** PC.

And no i was unable to get into safe mode. it kept bringing me back to the safe mode or regular select screen. i tried both. The os came from my dads work so I dont know how I would get the serial numbers. Is there a way I can get them from the software. I can just get the old mobo back on. Or do you mean numbers for the mobo?

Well...

When you install xp it generates what is called a hash number. This is what is sent in to M$ to identify the system configuration. Along with the activation code. This will activate the first machine to phone home with this set of numbers. If M$ sees another hash number with the same activation code it will consider it bootleg and not accept it.
In short> one disc, one key code, one machine.
Any thing else short of buying another key code or just another disc with key is illegal.

Here it is .
You can but do it the right way..
(old system)
pop in your XP cd.. go to this folder:
support\tools\deploy.cab
Make a new folder in your c:\ called Sysprep
(Notice the capital in the sysprep)
Extract the files from deploy.cab to c:\Sysprep

Go to your new folder. Double click sysprep.exe
make sure you have the "Shutdown" selected in the dropdown. Click the "reseal" button.

NOW
Dont do a darn thing. Let the computer shut down. This may take a few minutes..

Swap over your Motherboard and CPU.
Start the system and you'll see the computer will start to boot into the new user mode.
Have your cd key ready.

now your all set.

At the user section add a new user.. Not the same user name as you had before.. Enter the new user then log out.. Log into your old user name and you can now safly delete the "new" user you had to create

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom