Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-18-2008, 02:24 AM   #1
Solid State Member
Default Change Drive Letter

hey, i was recently trying to install osx on my pc, and while doing so, the sata power cable came loose, and after a bad scare, i fixed that easily. then once i got both my harddrives working again, i tried booting windows xp off my sata harddrive, but got the error message "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". when i use the recovery console (install disc) it appears that my sata drive (windows install) is drive C: and i installed windows onto drive D: (same harddrive, but after powerfailure etc it is C: instead of original D so i assume all the files point to D:* instead of C:* at least that is my best guess at this point. im not even sure where to start, but i guess i need to find some way to change the drive letters outside of windows (which obviously is not booting) help anyone?

Afrikaaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:08 AM   #2
In Runtime
Send a message via AIM to cwharms
Default Re: Change Drive Letter

select the drive w/ windows installed to boot first in BIOS.

E8400@3906*MSI Neo-2FR*4gb Corsair *2x500gb sammies*eVGA 9600GT SC*Corsair HX520
Q6600@3204*Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R*4gb A-DATA*2600XT*WD 320gb*500 EarthWatts(Folding for the [H]orde)
cwharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
In Runtime

you can try and boot off the windows disk and go to the recovery console after the installation starts and then you can type "fixmbr" into the dos screen and usually that will fix any other windows problems that you might have. Try that and give that a reply....
“If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.”

Reliable Online Backup? Click Here!
Verbatim47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
Solid State Member

yea, nothing worked, just gonna reinstall xp on my ide drive, copy important stuff off other drive, install xp on my sata drive, format my ide drive and try installing osx again....but this time windows will be on the c: drive

and cwcharms, i was trying to boot the windows install disc when i get that error
Afrikaaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Fully Optimized
Send a message via MSN to blackjack

So your ide drive is empty at present then? will your computer boot the sata drive if you dont connect the ide drive? or are you saying you want your ide drive as your c/drive and the sata as d/drive, if you install xp on both drives you will only be able to boot one of them as you cant have two the same systems running together, I have xp on my d/drive in use now and xp active again on my C drive which I use for storage and back ups but occasionally I change the HDD boot order in the BIOS and boot into my C and run xp fine from that as well.
Compaq Presario CQ5305K-m Intel® Pentium® Dual Core E5300 (2.6 GHz), Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 2048 MB , Hard drive: 320 Gb, with 18.5 Widescreen
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote