Cell Processor

Kage

Golden Master
Hi,

I've found out exactly what the Cell processor is now thats being developed by Sony, IBM and Toshiba

It's a chip thats based on 90nm technology like Wincehster AMD's.

Its a single 64 bit PowerPC CPU with 512kb of L2 Cache, and also on the chip is 8 SPU's or Single Processor Units, each with 256kb of local memory and a 128-entry 128-bit register file, making it very powerful I would think, capable of multifunction uses without a hassle.
According to rumours, its just as powerful as IBM's Deep Blue super computer.

and according to Sony, it can run at 4GHZ.

Because it is OS Neutral, it could also be used to run PC operating Systems.
Faheem Karim from Asus also said this "Asus and Sony have a very close relationship, so the possiblity of Asus making a motherboard to support teh Cell chip is not unreasonable"

It will of course be on Sony's new PS3, and is expected to be on IBM Brand computers, and Toshiba home appliances.

Hope this clears confusion about the processor :)
*KaGe*

Was just clearing it up, since peopel didn;t exactly know what the Cell actually meant before. I'm sure there are many places to find the info now, hence where I got mine from, but was just incase no one had seen it.

Talking about the PS3 now though. I have seen screenshots of ideas of what the games could look like based on waht developers thought, and to tell the truth, i wasn't that impressed... It just looked like graphics of latest PC games today (Even though it might have been rendered on a PC)

Though two did impress me, One of a car, and another of a Rugby game. Now that is what I'd expect.

What I would expect to see the console power are visuals like you'd see on Finding Nemo for example, where on some games, you probably couldn't tell much difference between real. Probably mostly with games like Gran Terrismo, where even PS2 graphics make it look rather good and realistic in places.

With the power available, I'd also expect advanced A.I and full physics systems in games.

I definetly expect it to be forcing out more than a PC can do of today. Am I wrong in thinking this?

What does everybody else think of what they've heard?

*KaGe*

Back
Top Bottom