Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-17-2007, 04:57 AM   #1
Daemon Poster

Angry Celeron with Vista Ultimate

I have had a lot of trouble since I upgraded to vista ultimate. Nothing will run smoothly. All my games slow right down, normal programs such as office crash all the time and it just runs slowly in general. I thought I could solve this by upgrading my RAM from 768MB to 1.5GB and that did nothing at all. When I read the vista minmum requirements I thought my PC looked much better and with upgrading the RAM it was much better than the recommended requirements aswell - it said I would need a 1GHZ processor and mine is 2.6. I came across in my bios earlier that my Celeron skt 478 2.6ghz only has a 128kb cache. Is it this celeron causing all these problems? I'm guessing that it is. I also found out from someone in these forums a few days ago that it has a 400fsb speed so can't really upgrade it without a new motherboard. If I upgrade the motherboard will I loose my Vista activation?
Some other basic specs are:
Powercolor ATI Radeon 9550 256MB
80GB IDE HDD
1.5GB DDR333 RAM
Thanks for any advice.

vaio-fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:00 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Celeron with Vista Ultimate

I almost forgot to add that it is always making that loading noise that computer make. It never stops and the orange light on the front (the one that shows it is soing tasks) never seems to go out.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy

ok, before you go out and buy bunches of hardware you probably dont need, run a few virus scans. viruses tend to slow down a computer like that.
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:04 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to george Send a message via Yahoo to george

You won't lose vista thats on your hard drive, as for the slowing down, no idea.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:07 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

I run a virus scan most days and I have also tried the file shredder on my whole hard drive and it didn't help
Old 08-17-2007, 05:13 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

----Taken from http://www.techduke.com/2007/07/29/w...rage-graphics/ ---

For adequate Vista performance, you need at least a midrange processor, which means an Intel Pentium 4 or Celeron, or an AMD Athlon or Sempron running at 2.663.0GHz. Faster is better, of course, but only if money is no object. Moving up to 3.2GHz or 3.6GHz might set you back a few hundred dollars, but the performance improvement won’t be all that noticeable. You’d be better off investing those funds either in extra memory (discussed below) or in a dual-core processor.
----

in other words, your processor is only giving you enough juice to support Vista and no other programs.. if you want to upgrade, a dual core processor at 2.8 ghz or higher would be your best bet
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
Old 08-17-2007, 05:23 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

Thanks for the advice
Old 08-17-2007, 05:28 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

no problem, man, always glad to help out.

i have to ask, you plan on upgrading that computer? a new processor would probably help that thing out a lot. if so, you know what FSB (front side bus) speed your motherboard can support?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:30 AM   #9
Daemon Poster

Yes I am planning on upgrading it - a new motherboard, psu, case and processor. Also when I mentioned loosing vista I meant its activation because I'd be changing quite a few parts.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:56 AM   #10
Daemon Poster

400fsb