Celeron VERY HOT! Normal?

linnerd40

In Runtime
Hey!
I have an Intel Celeron D socket 478 @ 2.53Ghz, and it runs HOT! I mean, it idles at around 60 degrees, and any load will put it up to around 65 degrees (celcius of course). Is this normal? :confused: So far, my system has not shut down unexpectedly, and there have been no alarms, but I don't like the thought of my processor running at 65 degrees (stock cooling). I hope to upgrade to an AMD Athlon 64 Socket 939 3500+ pretty soon, will this run much cooler?

Thanks for any help!

I had a heat problem with my celeron as well, I added more cooling items I had laying around, which helped.

Well, at least I know its normal. I hope I can get an AMD soon, I hear they are MUCH cooler (cooler as in temperature).
Thanks!

linnerd40 said:
Well, at least I know its normal. I hope I can get an AMD soon, I hear they are MUCH cooler (cooler as in temperature).
Thanks!
AMDs are much cooler as in temperature and generally "cooler". :p

I wish I had one. :( Welcome to CF by the way!

Yea thats normal for an intel under load I believe 110 is where they melt not too sure.

S478 do get very hot, because of the size of them. Mine idle's at about 40C - and load, around 50C - dont worry, it's a celeron - likely to get hot.

Could you could prob boil eggs if you took a bottle of water and tossed a egg onit and tossed it on the CPU :)

Pretty sad with a CPU is so hot it can boil eggs.

linnerd40 said:
Hey!
I have an Intel Celeron D socket 478 @ 2.53Ghz, and it runs HOT! I mean, it idles at around 60 degrees, and any load will put it up to around 65 degrees (celcius of course). Is this normal? :confused: So far, my system has not shut down unexpectedly, and there have been no alarms, but I don't like the thought of my processor running at 65 degrees (stock cooling). I hope to upgrade to an AMD Athlon 64 Socket 939 3500+ pretty soon, will this run much cooler?

Thanks for any help!
ha lucky for you. I used to own the same one before I changed it to a 2.66 from my dads computer. that I got at 3.36 @ stock voltage. If your board is overclockable. You can get around 3.5 Max on stock voltage ir you do it right. Its around 60c, it should be ok but if it goes over 70c than its time to reput as5 or thermal past on it!

Back
Top Bottom