CD-RW Not recognized

Northern Yankee

Solid State Member
I tried to back up some files on a CD-RW disk that I used last week, but my computer didn't recognize it. It kept saying that that was no disk in the drive. I thought that there was something wrong with my drive. I then put a CD-R disk in it and all went well. If you can reuse a CD-RW over and over, how come the disk wasn't recognized by the computer? I'm new with this type of thing. With my old IBM, I was only able to make copies on floppies.

This is not unusual with cd-rw disks. Especially cheap disks. What are you using to burn to it? INCD, Directdisk, file cd? Sometimes you will lose them and have to erase them and reformat them.

hmm thats very odd. its a cd rewriteable of course they're reuseable. in your case try the disc on another computer!

You can also try this.
Create a Restore point and back up the registry.Open regedit.
Look for;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\CurrentControlSet\SetControlClass.
Key name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Value Data:[Delete all value data from upper and lower filters]
Note-Do not delete the key or the multi-string values. Delete only the data values.
Exit regedit and reboot.

Thanks for the input. I'll check those things out. I guess it was a rather cheap CD-RW disk. I got them at Wal-Mart. 5 for $5.98. But then again, they were Memorex.

I concur with per on this! memorex is all that I use. and the upper/lower filter delete is probably the answer to your problem, too.

Try and get a copy of Nero. This will allow you to do loads of things really simply.

If you are using the default Windows copier, this will be why it isn't working with CD-RW's

Nero comes free with new DVD recorders and players. Also some CD ones too, so try and get hold of it. Its rather cheap too for what you get.

Back
Top Bottom