CD is not compatible between two computers

yxl12

Beta member
I have a new desktop PC in my home (HP Pavilion a705w; Windows XP with CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive) and a company laptop PC (HP Compaq nc600 with Windows 2000, a similar kind of combo drive but removable). After making files from the company PC, I saved them in a CD formatted with the PC. I could edit/copy the files to the home PC and recopied the revised files to the CD (but, sometimes, could not). However, when I tried to copy the files (original & revised) to the company PC, the CD was never recognized, but considered as a blank and asked if I want to format it. When I formatted a blank CD (whether R or RW) from my home PC, it was not recognized from my work PC.

How can I solve this dilemma; there is no compatibility between CD's formatted with two different computers? Nowadays, most computers, including mine, even do not have diskette drivers; therefore, I assume the CD should be able to be used as diskettes. In other words, when I have a CD with files, they can be accessed by any computers with the same operating system. I appreciate your advice.

when you burn a cd...make sure you close it before using it onto another computer....or else it wont work....and about formatting a cd....its useless once you do it....

have you considered just putting this problem off and simply e-mailing the files to yourself? And then opening them up on the company computer?

Also are you sure you didnt just drag the files onto the cd? Once you do that you have to write them to the cd. Or else no other computer will be able to gain acess to those files.

help1hv.jpg

you also shouldnt have to format the cd

One other note - I've had problems like this with CD-RWs. They never work for me. Try doing this with a regular CD-R instead. If you can get CD-RWs to work though, go for it.

Main problem isn't between Pcs, but between different burning software.
Try to have the same software on both Pcs...

Back
Top Bottom