CD Drives have dissapeared :/

rat_boy_100

In Runtime
I took my mobo out the other day just to clean it up and my case cus they get so dusty. After i put it all together i realised that my CD Drives aren't showing up in 'My Computer' and i cannot play games that require a CD to be in (says Please Insert CD). I've had a good look and i'm sure all the cables are plugged in and in the right places...i just dunno whats happened...The top CD drive (reader) will open and let me put a CD in and out, but the bottom one (writer) doesn't even open or light up, as if the power cable isn't in (which it is) Wtf has gone on! Lol...Help appreciated!

what can i say, if it was working before and you went in your computer you must have miss placed some cables. Are you 100% they are all in the correct place?

I had this problem when I was connecting my old computer back together but it happened with the one drive. Turned out I had the IDE cable i used to connect it to the motherboard the wrong way round. Simply rotate this cable horizontally and plug it in again the same way and it'll fix the prob :)

Hope this helps

lol never woulda thought of that. i gotta think about these things as i am nearing the build of my first computer.

hehe, its just a stupid thing I did, as it fit both ways :S Pretty weird, but it completly messed it up. Took me about 2 mins to figure out though so not too bad, but it stopped all power, like a safety feature...
The only reason I came to the conclusion was to take it out, and forgot which way i put it in the next time, but I must have done it the right way the second time and it worked, because I tried pushing it in more and things before i took it out. It was like a last resort

EDIT: Its always the simple things that tend to work

technoman said:
what can i say, if it was working before and you went in your computer you must have miss placed some cables.
well thats exactly what i thought, but i'm sure everything is as it was before...i need to fix it cus i've just bought HL2 and WoW and i cant install them without a cd drive! lol

Ah ha! Fixed it rofl...IDE Plug was on at an angle onto the motherboard so only half the pins were touching...hehe :p

yep well done rat_boy_100! :)

Hehe, that sort of thing is the first thing you should check :p

yeh well it was coverd by all the other cables and hard drive cables so i couldn't see all of it...and its not the sorta thing you'd think you could make a mistake with, lol

Back
Top Bottom