Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-22-2006, 12:11 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default CD drive..broken?

I think I have a faulty cd-drive. every other time i put a cd in the drive, my computer freezes, once i reboot though, the cd works fine. this is definitely not normal. i've tried reinstalling it, taking the drive out of the computer and putting it back in, nothing has changed it... has anyone every had this happen to them? does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks.

| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:24 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike
Default Re: CD drive..broken?

What CD is it? Is it a program, music, other? DVD or CD? It could be the cd rom, but it sounds more like a software issue. I have put a cd/dvd into my drive, and the computer won't respond for a minute or two, but nothing major. You're not getting any error messages?

pctechmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #3
Golden Master

Try uninstalling it from the device manager. Do you have 2 drives? if so try disconnecting the other one and just use one of them and see what happens. Sometimes the takiing the other drive out works. My friend had a problem some what similar to this and he took out the other drive and it worked. So just give it a shot..

what is up vanilla face
G35x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:40 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

this happens to all my cds. games, videos, music. it's just a cd-rw. does not support dvds. i'm not getting any error messages, my computer just all of a sudden freezes, nothing moves, not even my cursor. it's really a hassel to have to restart my computer everytime i put a cd in it. i may test out some other cd drives i have lying around and see if they have the same problems.
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:27 AM   #5
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to DanielASanders Send a message via MSN to DanielASanders Send a message via Yahoo to DanielASanders

That's a really strange error. I would try Dev0115's suggestion. Did you upgrade the driver recently by chance? If that's the case try the rollback feature for the driver.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #6
Beta Member

btw, try cleaning u'r drives tray and head using a good cd cleaner. try a system restore too if u know it (system restore).

pcblue is offline   Reply With Quote